Choosing a health care team can be a daunting process, but it’s worth it to know that you have a staff of medical professionals—doctors, nurses, social workers, psychologists, nutritionists and more—that you can trust. It’s important to feel comfortable talking to your health care team about what you’re experiencing and to feel confident that they have your best interests in mind.
Whether you’re assembling a health care team for the first time or seeking to improve communication with your doctors, check out our resources for assistance:
On Finding Health Care Providers:
- Tips on How to search for health care providers.
- Questions to ask potential health care providers about possible treatments and insurance coverage.
- What to expect from your first appointment with your oncologist and what to ask during your first visit.
On Working with your Health Care Team:
- How to prepare for appointments: preparing questions, describing symptoms and side effects, discussing medication and physical and emotional concerns.
- Tips on communicating with health care professionals, on voicing your worries and concerns and interpreting information.
- Resolving problems with your health care team and when to consider asking for a second opinion or changing health care providers or facilities.
Sign up to receive a free copy of the LIVESTRONG Guidebook to organize your appointments, treatment schedule and medications. For additional information on planning medical care and more, visit our We Can Help page.
Get one-on-one support. Learn more about LIVESTRONG Cancer Navigation Services.