Ride the 5 Boros of New York City with LIVESTRONG, with 32,000 Cyclists Drafting Your Tail!
by Michael D. Wolf, Ph.D.
Held annually the first Sunday in May for 36 years, the TD BankFive Boro Bike Tour is America?s largest cycling event. The event provides participants the unique experience of cycling through all five boros of New York City ? a 40-mile, traffic-free ride for 32,000 cyclists. Starting just north of Battery Park, the tour runs up Manhattan, through Central Park, around a brief loop in the Bronx and down to the Queensboro Bridge, passing countless New York City icons on the way. After a ride over the Pulaski bridge passing through Brooklyn and hugging the shore of the Upper Harbor, riders enjoy an incredible view from the lower deck of the Verrazano Bridge. Landing in Staten Island, the tour ends with a lively outdoor Festival where you?ll lunch and laugh in the VIP area with your LIVESTRONG teammates (while 32,000 cyclists line up in the fairgrounds to buy a box lunch!).
I Co-Captained the LIVESTRONG 5 Boro team in 2011 and 2012, have ridden the 5 Boro Tour 17 times and marshalled three of them. Cycling 40 miles on completely-closed streets, highways, and bridges is an unparalleled experience. The pace ranges from a reasonable 15 mph at the front to a family-friendly 9-10 mph at the rear.
LIVESTRONG?s Big Apple Team is back in 2013 and we invite you to join us. In return for raising at least $1,000.00 for LIVESTRONG, team members receive the following:
- VIP starting position in front of 32,000 cyclists on Sunday, May 5th.
- VIP breakfast with the LIVESTRONG team at the starting line in Tribeca.
- VIP tent and lunch at the post-ride festival on Staten Island.
- Saturday evening LIVESTRONG team dinner at Fraunces Tavern, Revolutionary War and National Historic landmark and now a top Irish pub and restaurant.
- Custom LIVESTRONG Big Apple Giordana cycling jersey. This jersey will be created ONLY ONE TIME and will be a unique memento of your weekend.
- Bike tours of NYC?s fabulous sights, bridges, rivers, beaches, and parks, led by Team Co-Captain Michael Wolf, on Friday morning and Saturday morning. You?ll visit Coney Island and eat hot dogs and fries at Nathan?s Famous; traverse the Brooklyn and George Washington Bridges; ride along the National Seashore and cross the Gil Hodges Bridge to Riis Park on the Atlantic Ocean coast; cycle up the cliffs of the Palisades for amazing views of Manhattan from across the Hudson River; and circle Central Park, yelling at all the runners ignoring the empty running lanes to run in and terrorize cyclists in the bike lanes.
- Team bag if you raise $1,250.
Come join us! Rain or shine it is always an indescribable joy to traverse 40 miles of the Big Apple with 32,000 bike lovers on closed roads, and being part of the LIVESTRONG team means you?ll share the experience with hero after hero.