Official Statement from the LIVESTRONG Foundation

AUSTIN, Texas – Jan. 17, 2013 – The LIVESTRONG Foundation issued the following statement in response to Lance Armstrong’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.

“We at the LIVESTRONG Foundation are disappointed by the news that Lance Armstrong misled people during and after his cycling career, including us. Earlier this week, Lance apologized to our staff and we accepted his apology in order to move on and chart a strong, independent course. We look forward to devoting our full energy to our mission of helping people not only fight and survive cancer, but also thrive in life after cancer.

Even in the wake of our disappointment, we also express our gratitude to Lance as a survivor for the drive, devotion and spirit he brought to serving cancer patients and the entire cancer community. Lance is no longer on the Foundation’s board, but he is our founder and we will always be grateful to him for creating and helping to build a Foundation that has served millions struggling with cancer.

The LIVESTRONG Foundation is one of the most highly-rated and effective cancer organizations in the United States. Our success has never been based on one person – it’s based on the patients and survivors we serve every day, who approach a cancer diagnosis with hope, courage and perseverance. We listened to their needs and took action to create free cancer support services that offer access to clinical trials, fertility preservation, insurance coverage and even transportation to treatment. People living with and through cancer are the inspiration behind our work. They have been, are and always will be our focus.”

1. Anthony James says:

I don’t see how an organization, even as worthy as this, but built on lies, can survive. And you still have LA listed as chairman?

2. drew olanoff says:

I stand with you. #LIVESTRONG

3. Jim says:

I am disappointed in Lance but still support Livestrong and will not let this diminish the good work that has been done. There needs to be more survivors and the needs will not diminish

4. Chris O'Connor says:

5. American expat in Europe says:

6. William Kerr says:

I will continue to believe in the mission of Livestrong. I lost my mother, a very good friend, and I myself battled skin cancer and won. I will continue to wear my Livestrong bracelet and wear my Livestrong cap.

7. Our family remains behind the Livestrong Foundation 100%. This controversery changes nothing for us. We wish nothing but the best for Lance and his family moving forward – and the same for everyone at the Foundation. Looking forward to events in the future.

8. Mandalyn X says:

That’s really all that needs to be said. Thanks and best wishes, Livestrong Foundation. Onward and upward!

9. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

1. Ron Geraci says:

Agree. But I think LA’s second chance was the 2000 Tour de France.

10. Aaron Davis says:

I believe LIVESTRONG needs to re-embrace their founder…. I will continue to withhold my support (after 5 years of support) until it happens.

11. People should be able to see that this foundation has nothing to do with his career as cyclist, why are we still mixing both? He made a mistake in his career, but he is a cancer fighter,survivor and founder of this great organization. Stop putting the 2 together, enough is enough. My father died of cancer,I know what it is to see your love suffer with this terrible evil. Lance still my hero. Enough said

12. alan macdougall says:

I’ll continue to wear my bracelet with pride

1. LH says:

Same here right along with my Livestrong tattoo.

13. Ryan DeVoe says:

Lance Armstrong admits to doping. Am I disappointed? Yes, I stood behind him
    for a long time while the “witch hunt” took place. Does it make him a
    cheater when it comes to cycling? Yes, and he will pay for that within
    the cycling community. Here’s the thing though does this make him a bad
    person? I’m having a hard time conforming on this one and saying that it
    does. The LiveStrong Organization still stands strong in the fight
    against cancer because of Lance. Since the day I put my Livestrong
    bracelet on, soon after my mom survived from cancer, I vowed it wouldn’t come off till there was a cure. Since then cancer has touched close to me in more ways than I
    would ever like to imagine and the fight against it lives stronger than
    ever. The power that a little yellow bracelet can bring along with the
    money raised by the foundation all for cancer research and helping people and families touched by cancer, all because of one man. Now tell me does that sound like a bad person? The sad thing is what he will be remembered for is something that is so unimportant in our daily lives, the sport and his cheating, and he’ll be forgotten
    for what he did that has mattered to so many.

14. Karl Kane says:

Good luck, but building any organization on a foundation of lies, bullying and fraud does not bode well. When I think of those wrist bands, I think of Lance’s con. That is his fault, not yours, not mine. But my wishes are sincere. The very best of luck to your team.

1. Funny when I see those bracelets I think of my father and the faith and hope he had even when there was no reason to have faith and hope! I still think of all the love and support I felt from everyone that was there for me and my family! I think about how maybe with the money raised by the billions of people who have bought those bracelets not because of Lance but because they wanted to support a good cause, maybe someday we will find a cure for cancer!

15. nhocks says:

Long live LIVESTRONG.

16. I hope Lance can get back to working with the organization, he made a mistake, but without him the Livestrong brand never happens.

17. Jason Boettger says:

Dear LIVESTRONG I’ve been an avid fan of Lance Armstrong upon learning his story. He cheated in the world of cycling where it’s common that most cyclists cheated. I do not forgive him for his actions. Personally I do take pride in the fact that he has come clean. Unlike a large majority of the cycling community, he has admitted his guilt. What cannot and should not change is the admiration of Lance Armstrong for founding LIVESTRONG and the dedication to the organization as well as cancer fighters around the US. I honestly did not feel that he needed to leave the LIVESTRONG Foundation’s board. His record in the cycling community should not impact whether donors continue to support the foundation. However; we live in a society where his greatest accomplishment needs to be separated from his greatest defeat. I pray that the LIVESTRONG Foundation lives on to help more and more people in this country and the world.

Jason B. – RI

18. While I am sad about Lance’s confession, I believe there is a part of the story we may not hear. Lance must have realized at some point that his success story, while partly based on a lie, also gave hope to so many millions of patients and survivors. That to me may have been cause for a lesser evil.

Yes, many will claim they were duped or betrayed…but Lance forever changed how we perceive cancer. And LiveStrong remains the greater good Lance put into this world. Before it, when patients were diagnosed with cancer, their options were very limited: You either waited until you died, or waited until you got better. Since LiveStrong however, another option exists…FIGHT LIKE HELL.

Now patients not only wish to defeat their cancers but they want to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, run marathons, complete Iron Mans… They want to conquer their fears and defeat the odds.

LiveStrong friends,

A two time survivor

1. Looking at these comments I’m so disgusted that I think maybe Lance’s fighting rhetoric was actually worse than his doping use.

I can’t believe that someone who has had cancer would say something as stupid as you just did. Surviving cancer has nothing to do with “fighting”, it has nothing to do with attitude (heck, my mother lived three years longer with NSLC than she was supposed to, despite having the worst attitude of anyone I’ve ever encountered in my life). I’m sorry Lance has deluded you and thousands of others.

You didn’t survive because you “fought”. You survived because you got treatment and got lucky.

1. LH says:

Some people just need to be haters. I beat cancer and it was a FIGHT. Treatment can only do so much!

2. wow Maija, I have never heard anything more ridiculous in my life. It is documeted that your attitude, and thoughts directly relate to the health of your physical body.

2. Absolutely (not sure if I have already posted this) In April 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer, someone gave me “Its not about the Bike” to read but I had to put it down after a few chapters as it scared the shit out of me. I finally got round to reading it in June 2012, post radiation, surgery and chemotherapy. At the time I could barely walk 100 yards, I had lost all feeling in my hands and feet, it was Lance Armstrong not my doctors who convinced me there was “Life” after cancer and I started running every day. Then i set myself a challenge a marathon, I did not want to do just any Marathon I wanted to do a hard one with hills so I could look at people as I passed them as Lance had described and think this is no place to get tired and if you had been through chemo like Lance and I you would not be resting.. On the 18th of May I will complete the Great Wall of China Marathon that I have no doubt and one man made me believe it was possible.. The fact he believed he needed EPO to succeed makes me even more determined to show he did not because if cancer does not kill you it makes you so much stronger and I will be forever grateful to Lance Armstrong for helping me see that.

1. Cheers brother. Way to fight like a champ.
        In a strange way, I always thought Lance’s feat of winning 7 tours were so inhuman that it intimidated even scared others in a way that made it hard for survivors to say ”I can do like that guy.” Sometimes it’s nice to be able to look up to a more modest success story. However let’s be honest that the Tour is not something ‘natural’ for your body to go through. Of course people need drugs to complete this. I think the struggle of the race is what really gives people power and hope.

I recall playing a few mid-season basketball games BETWEEN two treatments of chemo, and playing harder than I ever have in my life to date. The end result wasn’t great, I scored one lousy basket and got a few rebounds…but holy sh** I never felt greater! At the time I had media covering my story because I was also raising $50 000 for my hospital on top of playing…so by the end of that game, everyone knew the big bald kid with no eyebrows was in chemo. The struggle was the greatest feeling ever.

I’m sure you can relate and I wish you good luck in your incredible challenge. Enjoy the thrill of the struggle friend.

1. Helen Luisa says:

I agree – his (false) “successes” gave the impression to those who were not diagnosed around me that I ought to be stronger, better afterwards, superhuman, grateful for this amazing opportunity, doing yoga and reading its not about the bike every day and when they found me collapsed on the floor crawling in and out of treatment everyday, without being so grateful for the wonderful experience I had just been gifted with, they judged me, criticised me and some even left me. That is what this man has “achieved”. My struggle was made worse, by him, for the false portrayal he gave of what it is like afterwards.

3. Rahul Uppal says:

‘Lance may have been dirty, but then so is cancer. You have to fight dirty to win a dirty fight. You have to be ruthless and you have to FIGHT LIKE HELL.’

Cancer as a justification to play dirty. That doesn’t sound good Raph.

Reading all these comments, I get the feeling we are now seeing the damage that Lance, unintentionally, has done: those who identified and believed in him and the Livestrong message, now seek to protect their beliefs and the good it has done for them. Each in his own way, but not few impress me with an emotional sense of denial.

This is not a time to repeat the mantra of fighting like hell. I think this is a time to reflect. Livestrong attracted millions, because they believed a clean man won a dirty fight.

A two time thinker

19. Alohajonny says:

Lance, you let a lot of people down. You were my Idol, I watched tonight’s Oprah. Please just fade away now.

20. now all act like surprised, the cycling sport is always associated with drugs, and im sure that the 99% of the athletes use something, dont be naive guys

21. The Daily Coffee statement: We at The Daily Coffee were also saddened that Lance Armstrong choose to mislead the cancer community during his cycling career. We’ve always believed that LIVESTRONG is much bigger than just one person.

It’s our hope with today’s admission from Lance that the country and the world can begin to heal, support and encourage people living with cancer.

22. I will always support this LiveStrong. It is about the cause, not a person.

23. GOD bless you all keep up the good work. i dont look at what lance did when cycleing but what he has done and dose for the people fighting cancer and all the survivers of this insidious disease, i hope he keeps living strong and envolved in the cause. okay he has done wrong who hasnt in life, he needs our support now, lets forgive and get on with life.

24. VeeCee says:

Thank you…I feel let down by lance as I have defended him to others and now have ben made to look foolish BUT I also choose to forgive because of all the fantastic work he has done since…his cancer story and LiveStrong helped my husband at a time he really needed it….we will continue to wear our LiveStrong emblems with pride…x

1. There is no reason to feel foolish. He made a mistake & in the grand scheme of things, it really is not that big of a deal. He deserves forgiveness & love.

25. Greg.v says:

Ok so I guess I’m the only one who still believes Lance Armstrong is a HERO, not because of his wins, but because he started this foundation, survived cancer, and inspired many people to overcome. I plan to buy and wear a live strong cycling jersey and will embroider his name in big letters on it. I would still be honored to ride with him now and whenever. Everyone else can suck it.

1. cj01950 says:

No way. Liar liar lair liar liar liar liar. Seven times a liar. I admired Lance for years but no longer think of him as a hero. Most damning is that he never apologized in the Oprah winner to us- the people that defended and believed in him. The good done in creating Livestrong does NOT justify all the other wickedness

2. To Greg and the rest of you who shared his view… I still believe Lance is a HERO and I still admire him a great deal. What is also admirable is that he came clean. Maybe it’s a little late and most probably Lance has been suffering a lot in those few months prior to this interview. Anyway, now that he took all that huge load off of his shoulders, many great things are yet to come from his side… in my vision.

Still your fan, Lance. I forgive you and I love you man !

3. Robin Jackson says:

Both are true- he did a very good thing in setting up the foundation. He also behaved despicably, not in merely taking drugs (as we have seen- it was rife) but in the way he treated and bullied others over 13+ years. That part of his character leaves an awful lot to be desired. Ask Betsy Andreu, ask David Walsh hiw he spoke of him regarding his son who died in a bike accident, and of his journalism. The list is long. Livestrong? Phenomenally successful and many great people doing great things to fight a horrible disease (my partner has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma). Hats off to you all.

But this does not excuse Lance Armstrong from behaving in an utterly reprehensible manner to fellow human beings over more than a decade. When a bully says “sorry” this must be the beginning, not the end of a long process. I hope Lance Armstrong fully engages in that process.

Robin Jackson

4. vimanamama says:

You may well be the only one that thinks he’s a HERO. He started LIVESTRONG under false pretenses. I don’t know…did he ever really have cancer? I no longer can say that because he’s a gigantic falsifier.

26. 100% committed to LIVESTRONG and the wonderful staff. Until there’s no more cancer, I will continue to support you, since you were the first to make it ok to openly talk about cancer and all the difficulties involved with a diagnosis. Your leadership regarding aya is inspiring and your programs & services are much needed. Thank you for all you’re doing for us every single day. LIVESTRONG

27. Howard says:

The Pelaton goes much more slowly these days…

28. disqus_aXiuQLGXWd says:

We are all destined to do great things. We all lie, cheat and steal. Don’t fool yourself. The world is still a better place because of the foundation Lance played a role in creating! Bob Marley has always been an inspiration for me “Judge Not.”

29. moeadham says:

America was looking for a hero. Lance tried to fill those shoes. If he did cheat, and we never found out, would the situation change be different? He made us believe the impossible was possible. Regardless of the facts, belief is not easy to give, and Lance gave a truckload of it. Livestrong supports sport and vital cancer research; I think it would be a shame to remove Lance from Livestrong’s image.

30. Long may you continue to provide support to all who ask for your help.

31. Kim Alford says:

It’s awful that Lance Armstrong is no longer on the board. Its amazing how people choose what believe and when. I still believe in Lance Armstrong. I dont care if he did use performance enhancing supplements, So what. He didnt set out to hurt anyones feelings and everybody is taking it so personally. Get over it. Maybe I feel that way because I have watched so many family members die from cancer and you really figure out whats important. Lance’s use of performance enhancers is just not important in the grand scheme of life. He pushed himself to the limit and came out on the other side. I am not disappointed in Lance. Should he have lied no, but whose to say that he is not lying now because its what everyone wants to hear and to save himself in the long run.

32. There is no way of cheating against cancer! For me, the Strong part of Livestrong will allways resemble this inspiring warrior! Livestrong!

33. hakamania , (stephen hall ) says:

Greg ,I’am a 110% behind you m8 ,a true hero i strongly beleive the only thing he cheated was death, he overcame so much , i have livestrong cycle kit ,treadmill and sunglasses as well as Lance sticker on my car , he won the tour 7 times and is still a remarkable man , get over it ,and long may he LIVESTRONG

34. henry says:

His cancer story aside he is just another self made millionaire who tumbled , cheated and harassed people. But let’s forgive him because he “WON”. I wonder if we would’ve feel the same if he was a politician, police officer, and/or and average Joe.

35. PreTjenE says:

I love Lance even more! The pressure to constantly win has to be difficult he is still a stellar athlete and dedicated to fighting cancer

36. Kelvin L. says:

I have worn my bracelet proudly since I was diagnosed five years ago. For me it symbolizes the bond between all of us (patients,family, friends and medical staff) dealing with this awful disease. I shall keep wearing my bracelet with pride and shall continue to try and LIVESTRONG. Keep up the good work – my family (especially my kids) benefitted directly during my treatment from projects you all sponsored and I shall never forget that you were there for me when I needed you.

1. And me :) But I never stop 😛

37. Luis S. says:

If he cheated or not it is irrelevant, he still managed to inspire a lot of people including me. So good for you for continuing with what he started and helping your fellow man overcome one of the toughest challenges in life.

38. I agree with you completely.

39. Im with you also Greg!!!

40. “…what we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal…” Albert Pine…..THat tittle no one can take from Lance, and thats why he was, is and will always be a HERO!!!….

41. I agree with you Greg. It is a sad time however, the difference is that Lance was singled out. The TRUTH is that the practice was done as a normal practice among the people in sports in general. Let’s get real…It still is!! Darryl Strawberry?? Just one that comes to mind. Pete Rose is pushed back for making a bet…why?? Lance started the Livestrong foundation which I also support. Doping isn’t right but it also ins’t limited. So let’s go after every athlete who has at anytime taken a drug to “be better”..How many would be left? It doesn’t mean they are bad people. It sadly means that they are people trying desperately to live up to someone elses expectations..Wishing Lance Armstrong only the best of wishes..Time to move on…

42. disqus_ivFmQebZZ2 says:

God did not create us perfect and flawless, you are stil to be admired Lance!!

43. scottjoy says:

Life is complicated. People are complicated. I still draw inspiration from Lance’s resilience, perseverance, charity, and drive. Separately, the world and I need what the LIVESTRONG Foundation embodies and delivers, and my commitment is everlasting.

44. laughterjones says:

Agreed. People love to see a giant fall, which is sad. Lance did more for people than most could ever dream of. Was he wrong? Yes. Should we forgive him? Absolutely.

1. Yes, and everyone’s sin is “giant” in God’s eyes. That is why the Scripture says, “forgive, and you will be forgiven.”

2. Forgive, but don’t trust. And don’t condone.

45. jmtnyc says:

I will always support and appreciate Livestrong and those that have devoted their lives to making it an incredible organization. However, just because it is a non-profit with a great cause doesn’t mean that people aren’t making a living on their salary. In other words, just because you work for or even start a charity doesn’t make you a philanthropist. Some people are genuinely in it for the right reasons and some aren’t. At the end of the day we are either in this life for humanity or for ourselves. My opinion is that Lance has always been in it for himself despite his ‘charity’. I fully believe that founding the organization was originally just another tool for feeding his ego and hiding his ugliness. That doesn’t change the fact that Livestrong has done and will continue to do amazing things on the sweat and dedication of hundreds of likely good intentioned employees. For those people and the fact that the organization provided me with valuable support during my own cancer experience, I will always back their mission.The mission is bigger than any one person as this statement confirms. However, I do take issue with all of the people who continue to believe Lance Armstrong built Livestrong with very real, universally good intentions considering he spent his life letting countless others look foolish just to maintain his image. The man has always been about image. That’s why he dated a rock star, became best friends with a celebrity actor and also why he had to have the best cancer organization in the country.

46. Aron Dietzel says:

I have ALWAYS been one to accept a person at their word. The Media loves to hype up stories just for the sake of having a story. I believed in Lance because He said he was telling the truth. When I was going through my divorce, there were many people that accused me of many things. I was called a liar, a cheat. I was accused of turning my back on my children and even on God. These people never once came to me and talked to me. They never once asked me or got my side of the story. They just went with what they were told through the gossip grape vine. They were wrong on so many levels and friendships have been lost because of it. I still believe that Lance is an amazing athlete. I believe that what he has done for cancer awareness and for the great LIVESTRONG foundation is amazing. I believed in him right up until he admitted it from his own lips that he doped. I believe the LIVESTRONG foundation is amazing and I truly wish it much success despite the lies of it’s former founder. Lance, thank you for finally telling the truth. I am dissapointed and let down for one of my hero’s who said he was telling the truth, turned out to be a liar.

47. Chris says:

I ´m still belive lance is a Hero.

48. Carolyn M says:

5.2 mil LIKES says a lot about how we all and many more SUPPORT YOU! This in no way makes the organization look bad. We know how to separate Lance from you. As far as those yellow bands (and the people defacing them) that is so stupid. Something someone does and gets noticed and then it catches on like some new hobby. I will buy 10-20 of them for a GIVEAWAY and REVIEW that I (as a blogger) am doing on this whole situation. I’ll be sure to contact you when the review is written! Thank you for all you do!

49. disqus_H4fPkM4uJN says:

am I the only one who sees a link of injecting strange hormones and drugs into your body and cancer?

50. Vidal Demonti says:

Unfortunatley the people he sued and bullied along the way don’t feel the way you feel but I grant that he was the founder of this great foundation and the goodness that it is providing should not be blemished by his personal conduct. I am convinced that he feels regret and should be forgiven. Maybe the 10 step program that the AA has would be a good start for him. One step is to get in touch with all the people he hurt along the way and make amends.

51. Russell Owen says:

Damn straight brother!

52. We forgive people who have made only and only people sad. This man has made many people smile and happy. And we believe that if you have to commit a crime (except not hurting people in anyway) to make people happy, just do it. It is true that by using prohibited drugs, he won games and thus may have left many genuine racers behind him but think for a minute, if ever, he had not taken drugs and someone else have won games, would those winners have started such anti-cancer campaigns? would those winners have helped many cancer patients survive?

53. Scott Lucia says:

It wasn’t built on lies. He had cancer and he beat it….Don’t confuse the two.

1. Rahul Uppal says:

Please Scott, stop the denial. The organisation was a symbol of hope because of Lance being a sports champion who had overcome cancer. Right? Or was that an unsignificant element?

Why did Livestrong attract and inspire millions?Because Lance was a true success story of hope for them. Not just because he healed from cancer but because he went on to win the biggest tournaments in cycling.

I’m not saying the organisation cannot survive. I wish it a lot of creativity and wisdom in doing that.

54. Personally I couldn’t care less about the doping. He messed up, get over it!!! As a survivor of breast cancer, I believe Lance Armstrong should forever be honored for his efforts to eradicate all forms of this awful disease. The positive attitude that you have to have to fight the fight and carry with you forever after is what I share with all of my fellow survivors. Maybe this feeling is why we are compassionate and greatful to Lance for his efforts off of a bicycle. Head up sir, this too shall pass!!

55. Scott Lucia says:

Greg, you’re not the only one. There are a lot of us that can see past this disappointment and realize that there is so much more to this. How many people started biking, running, getting more fit. How many people with cancer have been helped. And… soon we forget, win or lose, the man beat the disease and still competed in the most grueling sporting event in the world. I would invite the naysayers to walk a mile in his shoes, or in this case, ride. I have always been a supporter of Lance and LiveSTRONG and I will continue to be!

1. LH says:

I agree. His story, Livestrong etc helped me get through my battle with cancer!!

56. ^ brainwashed ^ says:

No negative comments are allowed here, just as one sided as the races he was in. Shouldn’t really be surprised though.

57. Randi Kennedy says:

I agree completely! Lance was my hero then and he remains my hero now… And the bravery it took for him to come clean with his followers has to account for something, I know it does with me.

58. Nicole Rodiles says:

Greg, I’m right there with you! I still believe he is hero for the same reasons you stated in your response! I feel that he is being “put on the block” and taking the brundt of things that many others were doing as well! Should he have been “doping”? Of course not……but he shouldn’t be condemned and demonized, as he has and is being now! He has apologized and taken responsibility, regardless of how long that may have taken. Everyone has this “holier than thou” attitude, as if we are all so perfect and have never made bad decision or mistakes. I think we need to stop being so critical, since none of us has walked in his shoes! It appears to me that this challenging time has made him a better person….good for him, and his kids!

59. Alfredo Fresán says:

I agree with Greg, he made the foundation that helps more people with cancer in the world, thats the value on all this!!!! kind regards from Mexico

60. Alfredo Fresán says:

let me say something, just wearing the band give me a remainder that with courage i can go over on terrible moment after a car accident that involves my daughter, and we need to fight together and i toll her that i m going to wear that band until se came back on her feet again and she made it!!! she walks again, and im still using the band, all that is that courage that he inspired to us!!

61. Mike says:

Waw, what a western way to look at it…

62. RyanM says:

Lets be honest here. This is not about his contributions to Livestrong. It isn’t even about doping or cheating. It is about how he came clean. His arrogance in the interview and inability to show remorse makes me sick. I think he did a great thing starting Livestrong. But like the foundation states, “Our success has never been based on one person – it’s based on the patients and survivors we serve every day, who approach a cancer diagnosis with hope, courage and perseverance.”

In recent times several people have come clean about the use of PEDs. In my opinion if you come clean and show remore you get to put it behind you, like Andy Pettitte. If you are like Lance and are so arrogant that your defense is simply everyone else was doing it so why should i be singled out, then you should simply be forgotten. Take for example Rodger Clemens and the rest of the 2012 Hall of Fame inductees. The baseball writers spoke clear by not inducting a single one.

Their is a way to apologize and prove you have learned and changed because of ones mistakes. And then their is Lance. He is a complete and utter looser, and I have lost all respect for the man I use to think was an amazing leader and role model. Now I see him as a bully and simply feel sorry for him.

63. The end never justifies the means. His foundation will continue to be a force for good, his deceit his legacy.

64. Harmiclir says:

This message will not be posted, I’m quite certain.

Amstrong came across last night to anyone not predisposed to make excuses for him as a sociopath who lied without conscience and destroyed lives without mercy. Livestrong exists by one degree of separation from a sociopath. I’m not sure what that means in terms of the cancer services it supports but I’d advise Livestrong to transfer its assets and goodwill to another cancer support agency and to move on….the connection between founder and foundation is too strong and too toxic, despite what Livestrong would have us believe.

65. Kristi weeks says:

“Let Lance Live Strong” I’m not disappointed! I live better because of his achievements! Those who live in glass houses cast the first stone…. Lance is human! America…. Americans create this bubble of a world where no level of success or achievement is enough! On some level we all knew but we needed to believe even in the unbelievable! The pressure we bestow upon he and others is unfair unjust and indecent! People will say “he lied” I say who among us doesn’t? Our faith should not be in a man and his ability to ride in assisted by performance enhancement…. We should focus on the pressure we all laid upon him to be that super human… Just so we could have HOPE! I ride because of Lance and now I will ride FOR him! “Let Lance Livestrong”

66. I, for one, still support Livestrong AND Lance Armstrong. He still won 7 Tours in a level playing field. He is still a world class cyclist and a hero. Love ya, Lance!!

67. KB says:

So you have never lied or made a bad choice in your life? It’s the courage it takes to be honest that says the most about character! Let him without sin cast the first stone!!!

1. Ron Geraci says:

I don’t think many people have told 180-degree lies that were as direct, publically targeted, belligerently repeated, significantly meaningful to their life and community, and maintained so vigorously–for so long–as Lance Armstrong. It’s a little much for the “There but for the grace of God go I” sinner defense. Maybe if all this revelation was taking place in 2000, after the first Tour de France, or even a little later, OK. But after this many years of willingly repeating the crime, continuing to decide to audaciously lie about, and making the conscious decision many, many times to inflict pain and trouble on people for telling the truth…come on.
      There’s no courage in this years-too-late decision to tell the truth. You’re looking at a cornered person with nowhere, aboslutely nowhere, to turn.

1. That’s right. There’s no merit in his confession now. It is only for self-preservation and not true repentance. Once again, even as he said himself on Oprah, he’s sorry he got caught.

68. I’m with you too Greg – 100%

69. Eric Ramirez says:

I’m a cancer survivor and you do have to fight like hell! How can you judge when you didn’t go threw chemo your mom did! Don’t speak like you know how it is!

70. Tom Mathew says:

lance is still my hero.., !!!

71. Brattiedotcom says:

Lance is and always will be a real Champion! you don’t believe me? ok! Take a donky, give it dope and make a race horse out of it ! Good luck! They all did it by the way! so why are you after Lance? I’m with you Greg! :))

72. First, let me begin by stating my 100% support for those who have, and had been, afflicted with cancer. Both of my parents died from cancer, lymphoma and prostate respectively. I know how devastating and complex this is for all involved. But this is not about cancer, nor is it about cheating in cycling races. I could care less that he cheated to “level the playing field.” I don’t even care that he lied, because I can see how a good person can make bad decisions. The real issue that is so troubling is that he used his moral high ground position through Livestrong and as a perceived defender of mercy and hope, and used both his own as well as your fight against cancer as an impenetrable shield of virtue to destroy the lives of people he knew told the truth (people who were under duress from authorities) simply to win (not just win races, but to win over everyone else in life). This goes far beyond lying or cheating. This is NOT a good person making bad decisions. This is ruthless, calculating, sadistic, self indulgent, greedy, and hateful behavior. That’s what this is about.

1. Ron Geraci says:

You nailed it, Adam.

73. Actually I was 12 when I was first diagnosed, and 15 when I relapsed. The chemotherapy required to fight a chemo resistant cancer is essentially the maximal dose that can be administered to an adult (bear in mind I was a young teenager). The treatments were to last an entire year and ruin my athletic life.

Thanks to a meeting with an NHL player (Saku Koivu) who had the same cancer as me and who had been helped by Armstrong’s doctors, I was given a plan of complementary treatments, exercises and nutrition regimens not provided by regular hospital care. This complementary approach combined with my treatments not only allowed me to finish the treatments in less than half the time, but I finished them with a fraction of the damage such heavy treatments would normally cause.

My oncologists were shocked as they’d never seen a patient resist the treatments the way I did and I was as stubborn as Lance in my own way. Allowing me to finish my varsity basketball season and make it to the finals where I humbly lost to a formerly hostile team who gave me a standing ovation at the end of the match…

If you believe the only option a patient has today in the face of cancer is to sit by idly just waiting to die or to not quite die from the treatments, you are a sad fatalistic person with absolutely no trust in the power of human determination. It isn’t magic that our bodies react to stress or positive thought. When stressed, the body is in a state favourable to cancer (to not write an essay on the hugely documented subject) and when it is in a ‘balanced’ state, the immune system functions better and usually makes fighting disease that much more efficient. You should look it up, I’m sure this website has plenty of ressources on the subject…

1. noelle says:

have a peaceful and happy 2013 Ralph – thanks for the posts

2. Thank you Raph, beautifully stated.
      Maija, you don’t know me, you know nothing about me. I fought like hell damnit. I didn’t chose to look down the barrel of a loaded shot-gun because I was “lucky”.
      I was diagnosed at the age of 45 in Stage IV. I was an athlete, I was raising two teenagers by myself because their father, a Christian “deadbeat” pastor, went to go be with the Lord in his 3rd marriage. 49 years old now, I was alone in my battle, both daughters had emotional breakdowns out of fear of life without their mother. Without family (siblings resented me for my “pity party” so they walked away (now that WAS lucky)), working full-time, I went through two occurances and have survived 52 rounds of chemo thus far. I was “lucky” to have wonderful friends and co-workers. I survive not because “I’m lucky”, I survive because the alternative is not an option. Cancer wasn’t a fair blow to me, it tried to take me because of stress and anger that I couldn’t contend with and it became the battle of my lifetime after custody. Now I’m on the other side and I see it’s beauties and the “why’s”.
      If I was to come in close to someone who is as fatalistic as you, I would be dead however, I’m “lucky” enough to know that I’m living now because I’m stubborn, strong-willed and I’m a consummate smartass who is determined to not let anyone undermine my passion to live.

3. Wow Ralph… thx for posting. Very inspirational. So happy for your success.

74. In a way, this is a terrific moment for Livestrong, because it serves as the birthpoint for the organization moving beyond its founder. Being a two time Non-Hodgkin’s Survivor, including a Stem Cell Transplant survivor, I can safely say, its a crucible I would not have made it through without the strength and support of this community.

75. Dook says:

I have and always will be a supporter of Lance and the LiveSTRONG Foundation. I will forever feel the power of the yellow bracelet and proudly wear it tattooed on my shoulder. As a cancer survivor, as well as someone who has lost greatly to this disease, I am very in touch with how and what cancer is and does to people, families and our greater society. Lance became a leader in the fight to rid our world of cancer. As a survivor of cancer, and a survivor of the horrors of cancer treatment, Lance became one of the most visible, celebrated and honored athletes in the world. Is his legacy as a cancer survivor different because he took part in a practice that is a plague of the cycling community? Is his battle to “win” over the horrors of cancer and cancer treatment lessened because he doped- NO! Lance is a CANCER SURVIVOR HERO!! He may never be a cycling hero, but who is? In cycling, as in baseball, we are all left wondering if there are ANY clean athletes. The reality is that we still enjoy the amazement and the show that is athletics. These athletes, clean or dirty, fill seats of stadiums and inspire us. We buy jerseys, uniforms and idolize the athleticism. Absolutely, Lance was propelled to remarkable visibility due to his “victories” in the TDF. Some of us can NOT or WILL NOT ever honor his “victories” in the sport of cycling…a sport in which the casual viewer may question if ANY athlete is clean. But the VICTORIES I choose to celebrate are legitimate. Lance chose to use his platform (albeit gained through illegitimate practices) to inspire millions of people. To raise millions of dollars to fight the disease of cancer. To encourage an attitude of empowerment over adversity in ANY FORM (cancer being only one). People wear LiveSTRONG bracelets whether they have had cancer, know someone who has had cancer, know someone who has lost the battle or been touched by cancer, OR JUST WANT TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER!!! This is the victory that I choose to celebrate the most. I always wanted to believe Lance did not dope, but he did. I celebrate Lance for his greatest victory…over CANCER and for the body of work he enabled–the LiveSTRONG Foundation. For that I will be forever a supporter.

76. I believe in LIVESTRONG and the inspiring and dedicated individuals who work there and who volunteer worldwide for the foundation. I also believe that no matter what poor choices Lance Armstrong has made in his life (and suffice it to say I will not be casting “the first stone”), when he founded LIVESTRONG over fifteen years ago, he was motivated to find like-minded people who were passionate about changing the face of cancer. It wasn’t self-glorification, nor a set-up for hero worship; I believe it was a very clear choice to help patients and the people around them who had gone through the journey that he had. I think that as time went on Lance and LIVESTRONG endeavored to change the face of cancer completely. I believe they have and I believe THEY WILL. Every moment I have spent in the company of volunteer leaders and partners and employees has been a privilege.

My wristbands are staying ON.

1. Ron Geraci says:

Livestrong is a great, great thing. Any purely good intentions and noble, tireless efforts to create it and make it a viable organization that can help people are admirable. Unfortunately, and this is a big unfortunately, a significant part of what was fueling those noble, tireless efforts was ill-gotten.
      The organization came into existence and gained strength and prominence partly, but substantially, because of the public lies perpetuated and criminal acts committed by a key figure–it’s famous founder.

This famous founder wasn’t a behind-the-scenes sponsor. Another big unfortunately is that the organization was largely built on the story and legacy of this one individual, he was the prominent public face of it, and the two (man and organization) are inextricably linked as far their core identities. They may share no operational relationships, at least any more, but as far as genesis, identity and image, they’re inextricably linked.

This gives LiveStrong a very tough row to hoe. They’re asking for something impossible — don’t let your perception of a famous individual influence your perception of the organization he famously created, into which he baked in the very signature of his famous persona — the yellow wristband.

It isn’t like Jerry Lewis and MDA. It’s a lot closer to Danny Thomas and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Imagine Americans finding out, in 1970, that Danny Thomas had procured tens of millions of dollars money and very lucrative public goodwill for himself in some nefarious way that caused the public to suddenly think of him as a contemptible, serial liar and bully. It would have likely been pretty bad for St. Jude Hospital. Rewriting the narrative of their origin, trying to separate man and deed, man and orgnization–the sole parent who birthed and raised the organization, in the myopic perception of many donors and the public at large….not sure they could have pulled it off. It’s nice that it didn’t happen.
      For Livestrong, it’s happened.
      I really hope that they can weather the road ahead now the I-beam of their public perception has become a radioactive liability. [Wow, that’s a lot of mixed metaphors.]
      I’ll support them and I know a lot of people will continue to do. Hopefully many more join those ranks. But I don’t envy the PR burden they have ahead.

77. ArtF says:

I surley believe Lance is hero, and I believe Lance wanted to create an orginization to help the millions that battled and are battling cancer. Regardless on how he won his 7 championships. Lance will always be a hero to many. God bless him and I support Lance and not be ashamed to say that.

78. Tim McClure says:

Thanks Ralph. I couldn’t have said it better! I am also a big believer in ethics, morals and honesty. That said, Livestrong would have never happened without the story behind Lance Armstrong’s battle and his will to fight the cancer.
    I am a cancer survivor and I never looked up to Lance Armstrong the cyclist… was all about the foundation. Livestrong inspired me throughout my battle. When I went in at Stage 4, I was in rough shape and my treatment schedule was ‘like a whirlwind’ as time was of the essence. I looked to Livestrong as that telephone pole that I hung onto during a really bad storm.
    Today, I am in great health and have reached out to help as many people as possible. You can check out our video at YouTube GREAT NEXT CHAPTER FOUNDATION. Thanks again for your comments and to Livestrong, thank you all as well!

1. Thanks Tim. I am always happy to hear about the success stories of others and their contributions to to fight after their own. I will look it up most certainly. I’ve actually been working with major hospitals and cancer foundations here in Montreal, Canada to create services for life after cancer. Especially in regards to young adults. LiveStrong is a great friend of our organization Cedars Cancer institute and we’re trying to extend LiveStrong’s Young Adult Alliance to our city and province.

Having met Lance on several occasions here, I never thought he was a role model, but he always owned that. Ok now it’s bigger than just being a jerk, but LiveStrong never was about Lance, it was about the people.

79. Tim McClure says:

It’s too bad that you are so incredibly bitter Maija. I mean that with all sincerity. My doctors were very clear – that they could all they could for me but a positive attitude meant a TON. Sure advancements in treatment are also important and true, people with great attitudes also die but if you think a willingness to fight and have a stong attitude is not critical, I feel sorry that you’d live life that way. I am being ‘polite’ when I say that your comments actually disgust me as a cancer survivor who did everything I could to fight and remain positive. truthfully, there is not much reason I should be here and doctors have validated that. I hope you find a shred of peace in your life.

80. Nigel Strong says:

Why hasn’t anyone highlighted all the ups of what LA has achieved? Not in medals, not in wins, not in the Olympics but in the Live Strong Foundation? I am so fortunate not to have needed the foundation however I was inspired to get on my bike. I’m going to be honest now, I think he’s being a selfish twit, yes i want to say much more that that. Man up Lance, you’ve confessed but people don’t like you.

Everyone loves a hero and they also want the hero to fall! Ironic as it is that’s the sad nature of the human race. So how you do this I don’t truly know but you need to look within and find an answer because we actually still want a hero. Live up to it and Live Strong.

Nigel (again irony – Strong)

Don’t me or anyone else down, I bought the books, i read them to my children and at this moment in time I still support you

81. June says:

I would wonder if any of the people here who still think of him as a hero and say they don’t care that he won his medals dishonestly have children. By condoning what he did you are in effect telling your children that it is ok to cheat; it is ok to do anything you have to in order to win; it is ok to win dishonestly. The foundation is as they have stated not just one person and fortunately it will go on. But the fact that he did a good thing by starting it does not change the fact the he is a cheat. Not a hero, but a dishonest cheater who arrogantly felt it was ok for him to do whatever he had to do to win. Shame on him for showing kids that it’s not how you win that counts but just winning…..any way you can.

82. Dan Roberts says:

Hey Lance, I’ll try to keep this comment clean…I believed in you…defended you to those who thought I was just another blind disciple…Well I believed so much in you I signed up for and rode in the Livestrong Philly Challenge 3 years ago. Thinking if you can ride like you do after cancer I can do a one day Century. I was 52 at the time, probably 20 lbs overweight. I rode a 24 year old steel Nishiki 14 speed bike. I never walked, and only stopped 6 times for water/breaks. I finished in just under 5 and half hours. If anyone reading this has ridden the Philly ride they know how hilly it is.
    The only drugs I took were Gatorade and Nutella sandwiches..again because you used those products. I’ve since cut up and thrown out my badges of shame, my yellow bracelets.

Two words for you Armstrong F…You!!!!

83. In April 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer, someone gave me “Its not about the Bike” to read but I had to put it down after a few chapters as it scared the shit out of me. I finally got round to reading it in June 2012, post radiation, surgery and chemotherapy. At the time I could barely walk 100 yards, I had lost all feeling in my hands and feet, it was Lance Armstrong not my doctors who convinced me there was “Life” after cancer and I started running every day. Then i set myself a challenge a marathon, I did not want to do just any Marathon I wanted to do a hard one with hills so I could look at people as I passed them as Lance had described and think this is no place to get tired and if you had been through chemo like Lance and I you would not be resting.. On the 18th of May I will complete the Great Wall of China Marathon that I have no doubt and one man made me believe it was possible.. The fact he believed he needed EPO to succeed makes me even more determined to show he did not because if cancer does not kill you it makes you so much stronger and I will be forever grateful to Lance Armstrong for helping me see that.

84. Jay Ohaco says:

i love LOVE LANCE!!!!!!!

85. eduardo carrasco says:

Pase lo que pase Lace seguirá siendo un Grande!!!!. Adelante LIVESTRONG.!!!

86. noelle says:

i’m not big on emotive words and I didn’t personalize “my cancer”. i think you are completely wrong to think that finding the strength to somehow continue with grim treatments despite overwhelming odds is not a personal daily fight.

Lance is not a friend of mine. I am not personally dependent upon Lance in any way. i don’t feel that somehow I own him so he has therefore let ME down. He let himself down.

Lastly, you can have your views, but it is sad to see harsh words on a website which is dedicated to trying to help eachother when we have all bran in dire circumstances. I know we can all fire off a post a bit faster than we meant to. But hey everyone – by all means share your thoughts but lets all try to do so in a spirit of kindness. There is already far to much pain in the world – lets not create more.

87. Jodi says:

I believe one of my favorite quotes applies here:
    “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf

88. Joel Silva says:

I will continue to suport you guys, actually i want to ask more bracelets to sell, always with you!

89. Sandi M. says:

Human beings are complicated and none of us are perfect. The world is not black and white, there are lots of shades of gray and people can be good, strong, heroic AND flawed. My father, other family members and friends are cancer survivors and I will ALWAYS appreciate Lance Armstrong and LiveSTRONG for what they have done and will continue to do for people with cancer.

Yes, it’s disappointing, but I’m even more disheartened by the violent and aggressive hatred that many are so focused on sending in Mr. Armstrong’s direction. Think about his family, his children and have a heart. How does that help anyone? I was taught that it’s not compassionate to kick someone when they’re down so I will send good wishes to those he hurt personally and also to him and his family.

90. Brad says:

Used to support Lance and his battle with cancer AND cycling authorities but I can’t separate the two (activities) now that he’s admitted to cheating, bad judgement, acting in bad faith and attacking character of old friends (who challenged doping use and were concerned with his health). And for what? Money! Fame! Sorry dudes, I’ll continue to support Lance and his battle with cancer (admire what he’s done) but any future contributions will go to another local charity and ‘their’ remarkable people/activities/stories. LiveStrong does not hold the patent or rights to a ‘good cause’ and should consider a name change, new brand and full management change before it’s too late – noticable distance between you and your fallen leader is the only thing that might save your cause, and change my mind. Just my opinions…

91. Ron Geraci says:

Moderator, I really hope you’re not biasing your gatekeeping to favor pro-Lance comments. If Livestrong really isn’t about him, then you’d let people with positive and negative opinions of him comment equally.

1. LIVESTRONG says:

I am. I will not post comments with inappropriate language.

92. Iman Hanaan says:

Don’t worry get over it, you’ll have your Lance Armstrong moment one day. Hope its people like us available to forgive you and accept your apoligy

93. disqus_Acafp8adjy says:

I guess I’m disappointed about all the people Lance’s lies destroyed. Taking people to court, creating an unbeatable force of evil as others poured heart and soul into training only to not even have a chance at winning. Many peoples lives were destroyed by Lance Armstrong. He taught us that doing the impossible is in fact impossible, there goes all that “hope” he created. Welcome to a world of placebo affects. I love what the foundation has done for people and their families, but I cannot shake the fact that all that help was built on a lie. I hear, “Hey you should cheat and rob people of their goals and dreams because if you do it’ll be okay, the good that comes out of it will outweigh the bad.” Kind of disgusting. This is not a slight to those who have cancer or are survivors. My Opa died of cancer after fighting it for 11 years and I know for a fact he would be disgusted too. Armstrong eliminated the chance for a REAL hero to emerge during the time of his deception.

94. Nancy Hall says:

There is no “good luck” once you’ve been diagnosed with cancer. It’s a long fight and getting treatment IS fighting! I’m a survivor and that’s only because I fought. Your “got lucky” comment is very offensive! Lance Armstong started the Livestrong foundation which has been a great help in my fight. In my mind this overrides any choice he made to put drugs in his own body. I will be forever grateful to Livestrong and ALL who have ever been involved with the foundation.

1. Helen Luisa says:

So anyone who doesn’t survive it didn’t fight hard enough, that is your logic? Your comment is outrageously offensive! It’s more than a fight, its a desperate struggle to survive. Those of us who have survived absolutely got lucky, we deserved it no more than anyone who did not. The ones who have to struggle and endure the most are the ones told they will definitely not survive, not the maybe the lucky ones get. I absolutely got lucky, I struggled to survive like everyone else, I didn’t have the energy to fight as the treatment is so brutal, I simply endured, like everyone else.

95. Ashley1209 says:

If you have not had cancer, you do not know About fighting…. Fighting to not give up(regardless of the attitude displayed), fighting to get up and face a new day, even in the darkest hidden corner, hoping it is better than yesterday, fighting with yourself to go to “treatment”,even though it leaves you feeling WORSE than your disease, fighting depression and woe is me/why me, fighting to live and only hoping to be a survivor…. This is not about your perception of “fighting” cancer, but a support system that has been created by LIVESTRONG to help those who are reaching out, looking for a hand, a light at the end of a possibly endless tunnel. If you were to be told you have a 15% chance of living for 1 year, and you greet the morning of your 5th year with a desire to live longer, live stronger, would you not be grateful for anything and everything that has led you to beat the 85% prognosis? People make mistakes, cover mistakes up, and then try to live with what they have done…. I find it “disgusting” that you would say such a hateful, uninformed, and unintelligent remark. It isn’t about praising/adoring Lance, it is about Surviving!

96. Tyler Dixon says:

Maija, your comments are medically inaccurate. They are illogical. The fact that your mother lasted three years longer with a poor attitude has no bearing on whether or not a will to survive positively impacts ones physiology. Your argument is the equivalent of a life long smoker in their 90’s suggesting that their isolated situation refutes all medical and scientific evidence confirming the correlation between smoking and illness. Your mother’s circumstances were unique to her and quite atypical. Of course ones attitude affects their health. It may not be the only thing that affects health, but it is one thing. Who knows….perhaps with a better attitude you mother would have lasted even longer. And regarding Lance, if your conclusion that one’s short-comings should nullify any good they may do, then we are all worthless, as we all have short-comings

97. Lena Moore says:

Lance Armstrong is a despicable human being. LiveSTRONG does wonderful things for many people. I hope the organization continues, but changes its name to dump the affiliation with that cheating, bullying, arrogant, awful person. LiveWELL anybody?

98. JHimple says:

By retaining its name, the organization will always be associated, sadly, with Lance Armstrong. It cannot continue on under the name “Livestrong” and still present itself with any substantial measure of virtue.

Regardless of his legacy, the foundation must separate itself from Lance. This will not happen overnight. However, like so many others, I look forward to the next generation of the foundation now that the lies and shame of Armstrong are behind us.

99. Jill Gregory says:

still love Lance. we all make mistakes…some bigger than others.

100. tsbroome says:

Shame on you Livestrong for not standing by Lance. Dumping him when he most needed you to be there and for what? its all about the money. I am sickened by the people that are saying liar liar, so these people have never told a lie, never done anything they needed to be forgiven for? They are perfect? I think not. We all make mistakes and we all need someone to stand beside us when we admit those mistakes. Livestrong could have shown all of us a higher path if they had stood by Lance and set an example for how forgiveness works. Too bad you were more worried about your money and how you would “look”
    I think everyone needs to be reminded of how much good Lance has done. So he doped, so did everyone else, where is the witch hunt for all of them? Why aren’t the rest of the cyclists banned for life from sports? Just Lance?
    Lance got my daughter back on a bike after a two year round with mono, she read his book, cheered for him during the tour and got on her bike, some days when she barely could walk up the stairs.
    This world needs to learn to love and forgive, we are a mess……..

101. He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!

102. The decision that the foundation made to ask Lance Armstrong to step down is a very poor decision. If people could learn to forgive, and understand the human spirit better, would that not be the best example for our young people? “Livestrong” is Lance Armstrong. It saddens me to think that an organization who claims to want to help people heal, could not have helped Lance heal & realize the value he added to this foundation.
    I never have met Lance. I am a middle aged woman, who read his book years ago. I was truly inspired by his life story. I will always remember his remarkable fight against cancer. He made mistakes, but he truly deserves forgiveness. Who among you, has not
    made gigantic mistakes? Your organization is meaningless without Lance Armstrong. It sickens me to think that you had no other alternative, then to give him the boot.

103. Julie K says:

I believe Lance Armstrong is a hero. I also believe he would have won no matter what. I thiink people should have had faith in him and not have influenced him. He is the best athelete in my life time. He battled cancer. My dad also battled cancer at IU and every time I would see his name it helped me get through the day. I wish him the best of luck. He is always a hero!

104. Shaza says:

wow. time to stop hero worship and go for mentorship instead! Ever think all this hero worship fed the beast. The guy is a sociopath, Oprah was right.

105. Allan Lindh says:

My gosh, you’d think he had ordered the bombing of Cambodia, or invaded Iraq on a pack of lies. Last time I checked those guys walked away free. And rich. He cheated and he lied, just like other successful bike racers, baseball players, swimmers, runners, football players, etc. Exactly why is he being crucified? Oh ya, and how many of them spent a big chuck of the last 15 years trying to help people in desperate need? I think I’ll start wearing one of those damn bracelet things.

106. mark spijkers says:

Mr. Armstrong did so much for cancer victims and therefore i will admire him all my life. He is a tough guy, made mistakes, but we all do! Count your blessings and be thankful!

107. Anthony says:

The smartest thing you could ever do is completely, 110%, separate yourself from Lance Armstrong. It’s scum like this that make this world suck a screwed up place. He may have done a lot for cancer research, & for that I commend him, but aside from that, he prayed on people, took advantage of people, lied to people, & has been a complete fraud, all while making millions off the very people who trusted in & looked up to him. For all he has done, may he rot in hell the rest of his life. I have absolutely ZERO respect for this scumbag. It all disappeared when he began lying.

108. Deb. Thurston OCDS says:

I’ve never donated before, but I’m making a donation now because I believe in your mission and the work that you do. Your resources helped me immensely when I was going through chemotherapy at IU Simon Cancer Center and facing serious surgery. I’m a survivor, and I want to ensure that others might have the same access to all that you do. Livestrong – now more than ever – needs and deserves to do just that… LIVESTRONG!

109. Helen Hoops says:

Livestrong has existed because of Lance Armstrong’s dream. Without him as the driving force, 500 million dollars would not have been raised for Cancer Research/Awareness. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance-especially for the good that has been done! Lance’s fall from grace has come full circle……Lance is more than just the Tours/cycling…..he deserves to be forgiven..Lance is Livestrong!

110. Fred says:

I encourage him to go till the end of the redemption. Then he will remain a leader and a hero. I just hope he is not taking on his back everything just to make some financial arrangment. In that case he would keep on beeing the same man. I really d hope for him he can make peace with himself and all people he treated with arrogance. Only him have the keys now but at least there is a start for a new hope…

111. Doug C. says:

I think no less of the LIVESTRONG Foundation because of the association with Lance. I think a little less of them because of their disassociation with him…but I still support both and will continue to do so! I forgive….let’s move forward.

112. maryseribeiro says:

i’m living in france and i supporte lance, he started this fondation and inspire many people. i’m pround off that . For everytime .

113. LIVESTRONG says:

Thank you very much Deb. Means a lot. Really glad that you found our resources helpful. Please hold on to our info. We are here for post-treatment concerns as well.

114. Racha says:

I still love Lance Armstrong. With all its weaknesses and the will to fight and win. Thank you, Lans for all these years. I do not feel cheated.

115. Javier Alonso Anaya Gómez says:

…i love the LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION, live LANCE ARMSTRONG for ever…

116. “Good interview. I’m always entertained by what Charlie Sheen has to say. I don’t care what. In the end, he’s got genius in him”, I guess that explains why you find Raph and my conversation a “Yawn”

117. You are are absolutely right, perhaps now everybody knows he is “human” more may believe they have the ability to deal with their cancer as well as he did.

118. Cycler says:

I am not sure what Oprah you watched, but the one I watched he apologized with almost exact words you used.

1. cj01950 says:

I heard a confession, not an apology-big difference. But OK, I understand people need heroes. I’m over Armstrong as my hero. He used all of us to build his brand and out of bad always comes some good. In this case, the good is the support Livestrong offers to cancer survivors. To keep that going, the foundation needs to distance itself far far away from the lies and defiant denials upon which Lance was perched. Livestrong or Livewrong?

119. EJ Neal says:

Such an inspiration to millions for surviving cancer and founding an organization that is BIGGER than him. I would not hesitate to ride with my cycling HERO. He was put here to do great things. So, who else is perfect?

120. Whatever the truth is! I still believe in Lance and am still his follower. He is a true hero, this is a fact no one in this world can deny.

121. Phil says:

Livestrong is about a cause not a man always has been always will be. The man who’s idea this was is still a human being and has flaws. Isn’t perfect never will be. Who of us does have a skeleton or 2 in the closet ? Because of this man I ride a bike, don’t smoke, eat better, feel better and support his cause. I don’t care that he doped in the pro peleton; in fact I accepted that fact long before Thursday night. So enough already lets just get on with the fight against cancer just like Lance Armstrong wants !

122. Baio says:

Lance you are a hero forever, you have to learn this.

Be strong, Live Strong forever…

123. Christel Chase says:

I watched Oprah’s interview with Lance, and my thoughts are that we are all flawed. As we journey through life, we are given opportunities to become a more authentic person. I feel that Lance’s truth is he is and always we be, a cancer survivor. I support him in his journey to a more authentic life. I enjoyed watching him in the Tour de France, but that is not why I thought that he was a great inspiration. He touched the door of death and said “No Way”. He fought with all of his strength and determination to battle his cancer. He started his foundation to help others, and to give hope and support. Why do we turn our backs on someone who is finally taking ownership of all the lies? I support Lance in his journey towards truth. It was never about the bike to me. I donated for the first time to Livestrong because of watching Lance admit to his lies. We are all flawed in some way, Lance just had to face his flaws on a world stage. I would like the foundation to embrace him for being honest. True forgiveness will set you free from a life of bitterness.

1. Rahul Uppal says:

This is the damage done: you now perceive all humans to be flawed, because your hero flawed.

Lance’s flaws are certainly human, but also certainly abnormal. We all have flaws, but do not forget paths to true happiness are still being walked by many. Lance’s path is not one of them. So far.

124. Stacey Thompson says:

I won’t be turning against Lance. I think it’s disgraceful the way he’s being treated. Ok what he has done is horrible, lying to all his sporting fans for years on end, making them believe he was somebody that he wasn’t. He said he needed the control, maybe that control was what helped him overcome the cancer and helped him rebuild his life after. That control from Lance created Livestrong. I feel what Lance done with his life and how he helped so many people through such a horrible illness should not be forgotten. I’ll always admire him for what he done with Livestrong.

125. As of right now, having read some of you (mostly negative) comments, I think you should be banned from the livestrong forums.

Specifically you are a fool to speak as you have about lance armstrong and his “fighting rhetoric.” You have no call in making such statements in this forum. As others suggested in the same discussion, you must actually study the subject matter before being so unreasonably opinionated in such a public forum — this is a potentially harmful.

I hope you reconsider and educate yourself. Until then your opinions will be worthless to me and potentially VERY harmful/hurtful to others fighting through their cancer.

126. Jens Lerdorf says:

Lance Armstrong is just a human being like all the rest of us and as a honest dane
    I can’t help thinking; who are most guilty the bike-rider who want to win a race or the tour le france fans who want them to compete in this 3 weeks very long inhuman race!

Its like telling a roman gladiator to fight the lions with bare hands so to speak, so I am as guilty as Lance Armstrong, and think all those many firms who make a big profit on the (gladiator) bike-riders, should take some of the blame.

So I hope Livestrong find a bit of sole and strength again in your work, because that what your founder Lance Armstrong gave you and indeed many many others.

Love and understandig from Denmark

127. Alex Johnston says:

Just because a sociopath causes others to do good, does not stop him form being a soicopath. Talk to his vicitims. Imagine being his son,

128. An apology doesn’t mean a thing. It’s easy to utter a few sentences of apology. Just words … and they don’t counterbalance the thousands of hours he was pedaling the bike — cheating.

129. RedHeadedGirl says:

I have to strongly disagree with you. It is most certainly a fight every day when you are so sick you can’t hold your head up, or so painful that you feel like your feet and legs are going through a meat grinder but you get up anyway, and everyday you continue to get up because you have a sixteen year old son to live for. Yes, it is a fight, every treatment is a fight against the pain and the fear of the pain versus dying. it is apparent to me that you’ve never fought this particular enemy and I pray you never have to.

130. RedHeadedGirl says:

What an awesome story! You rock, my friend.

131. Lenore says:

If cancer didn’t take him out then Lance will survive he’s demons too!
    As the saying goes ” build a bridge”

132. Lenore says:

Are you so perfect?
    He was wrong anyway you look at it bike wise but cancer wise you can’t say he lied! Still a brave man to get up every day and fight the cancer and win.

133. Like many others, I’m torn. When diagnosed with lung cancer last year, I initially considered it a death sentence. Today, 9 months later I’m cancer free and looking forward to a fantastic rest-of-my-life. Livestrong was a big part of that – they were there immediately with support, with resources and, most importantly the concept that “you can fight this thing and you can win – look at the people who’ve done it before you”.

I once considered Lance to be a larger than life hero. After Oprah, I was sickened by the ego driven, pathological liar who would stop at nothing to win whatever battle he thought he was fighting. I have my yellow wristband sitting on my desk at home. I almost threw it out but the Livestrong organization deserves better. The bottom line is I beat cancer; I think I can deal with Lance’s downfall without too much difficulty. And Livestrong appears more than ready and willing to move forward without him.

134. I fuck up many times in my life too (oh GOD!) but as long as i am human i will try not to do those things again because i want to be a better person, Lance inspired me the moment he decide to stop what he was doing wrong.

135. To Mr

Seven years ago I had to fight for my life against Cancer and as every survivor knows it is a living hell that won’t just disappear one day, it takes months sometimes years to be cured, the hardest thing is how large and tiring it is.

In Mexico City where I was treated everyone knew your name. Even people like me who are not into cycling, cause it was not about the tour of France, it was about a man who after having defeated cancer stood up and came back to his life as strong
    as before, it is a story about courage, about a warrior, it takes so much courage to get up from a hospital bed and fight not only for a normal life but to fight in such a demanding situation as professional sports. Sometimes it takes many years to get ourselves back after this illness, many of us have committed a lot of mistakes, when I think about the things I did after I was cured I regret many of them because I was still trying to put myself together, and trying to pretend that It didn´t affect me, but It did. It is easy for people who has not been there to judge and it is even easier to enjoy how famous fall, but I really would like to tell you that I really don’t care about cycling no one in the Oncologic hospital where I spent those months did, but every one of us were inspired by you, you brought us hope and honestly compared to that, winning or not winning la tour the France is not
    that important.

136. dolphins78 says:

I don’t have a major problem with Lance seeking an edge – everybody in cycling who is competitive probably has done it at one time or another.

But I do have a sincere problem with all of the lawsuits against people and lives he’s ruined. He could have gotten away with the lie forever without attacking people in such a vindictive manner, but he couldn’t do even that.

That being said, that shouldn’t detract from livestrong’s positive mission.

137. says:

I am truly sorry for Mr. Armstrong’s current situation with the press, but in my experience of losing a dear Family member at the mere age of 28 to Luekemia, I believe that the supplements may have very well cured Mr. Armstrong! Only time will tell, but for your organization it is THE BIGGEST statement that he could make for future cancer patients. May he remain Cancer Free and God Bless Him and his Family too!

138. Johan says:

Can Lance no donated the money from the interview to Livestrong? Is all about doing something back to society and less about the money. At least Oprah and Lance should be open about the money streams of the interview that was broadcasted worldwide.

139. Rob says:

change the name! get rid of “strong”.

140. Jack says:

In beating cancer, there is never an implication that it makes anyone a morally better person. Lance is the poster child for the fact that even “bad” people beat cancer. I hope other organizations that are founded by “good” people are able to come to the fore-front. The yellow band represents a lie now. My dad recently beat cancer and with the help of his family he overcame in a big way. We thank God for where my dad is. Not an organization and not a cheating, lying, self promoting bully.

141. Holly Lacy says:

I’m thrilled that Lance is finally facing his demons and taking the
    steps necessary to apologize to those he misled. Let those of us who
    have never made any mistakes throw the first stone. I just went through
    a bankruptcy, which of course is in no way comparable to trying to
    survive cancer or win the Tour de France. Yet I could relate to Lance’s
    inability to listen to the people who asked him to be honest with
    themselves years ago. Sometimes you are just not ready or able to hear
    advice from the people who love you, and you are on a course of
    self-destruction that is part of your personal growth. You’re on the
    dark side and need to have some tough life experiences to get to the
    light. I think Lance was sincere, and he is on his journey to a better
    life. Well done, Lance and Oprah.

142. Lisa Speight says:

Maija – in my opinion, you miss the point. Take that day when someone is given a cancer diagnosis. What does it do to them – mentally, emotionally? Physically, you are right – there are no guarantees that a strong mental attitude will pull you through or help you survive longer. Though frankly, medical evidence would suggest that a good mental attitude can sometimes help. But that aside: What Lance did was show that dreams, goals, aspirations do not have to be put on hold because you’ve been given a diagnosis. He proved that people could live life with a cancer diagnosis – they didn’t have to just curl up and wait to see if they got better with chemo and the like. He made a stand for maintaining the quality of someone’s life – no holds barred – even after a cancer diagnosis. Surely that is something to applaud?

143. It is unfortunate and sad that this organization is tied to someone who is now no longer famous, but infamous. The organization should rename, restructure and move as far away as they can from association with a person whose name now stands for lying, cheatiing, bullying and drug abuse. I am most upset by how this affects those who he had formerly inspired who are now left feeling foolish and disillusioned. What is worse than causing someone who needs a hero to realize that their hero is a liar and a cheat. The ripple effects of this betrayal are only just beginning. Livestrong, so sorry for you hard working folks who threw your weight and passion behind this false hero. Good luck and best wishes to you all.

144. Lemuel Uhuru says:

I respect the organizations work dealing with cancer patients and even Mr. Armstrong’s courageous battle against the disease and the time he dedicated helping others. However, that does not excuse lying to people for so many years and worst suing, defaming, and denigrating those who exposed him over the years. Cheating and lying are the foundation of much larger crimes that slowly grow to create immoral societies kind of like the state of our world, encouraging such behavior by supporting the people who condone it only serves to reduce our morals as a society. So yes, forgive the man, but it is his responsibility to show the world that he has changed and honestly his actions has yet demonstrate true remorse.

145. Suzy Sunshine says:

Yeah, I still admire Lance Armstrong, and have absolutely no problem with his taking drugs & doing whatever he needed to do…..before & after the cancer. I’ve survived cancer twice, altho not as well as he did, and I’m disabled from other problems and have a heck of a time functioning You can bet that if I could get some drugs that would enable me to function somewhat “normally”, even if it’s only for a week or so, so that I could at leasdt get somewhat organized & caught up on the housework, I’d do it in the blink of an eye! Are diabetics looked at as “drug abusers”? Well, in my case, decent pain medication would make a big difference in the quality of my life, but what doctors are willing to give me is totally inadequate. I’m sorry that there are so many people who take/abuse drugs just for a high or whatever, because that only results in people who would genuinely benefit from these medications being unable to get them so that we can function & live somewhat normally!! I’m so tired after so many years of pain and inability to do simple things like stand at the kitchen sink for longer than 5 minutes at a time, or hang a whole basket of laundry on the line at one time without needing to sit & rest, etc.

146. To the great dedicated people behind this organization: dissolve Livestrong and rally under a different flag. It maybe semantics, but it matters. Integrity matters.The Livestrong identity is tainted, and will never be independent of Armstrong. But you guys are not about Armstrong, you are so much more.

147. Valeria Larrosa says:

Siempre estare agadecida con Lance ya que el creo Livestrong y trabajo por y para ella durante mucho tiempo y yo no me olvido. Esta fundacion ayudo a mi familia y a mi en un momento terrible cuando mi padre se enfermo de cancer y en lo personal Lance me insipro cuando lei su historia y vi sus videos, me dio fuerza y esperanza cuando nadie mas me la daba.

Vi la entrevista con Ophra y me parecio un hombre honesto, arrepentido y que estaba luchando contra sus propios demonios. Por eso entre el jueves y hoy reflexioné y me di cuenta que todos comentemos errores, somos humanos, y creo que todos merecemos segundas oportunidades…….

El nombre de Lance siempre estara sujeto al de Livestrong se quiera o no, y aunque se que una fundacion no es una sola persona, el fue su creador, es la razon de ser…..

Como deportista…. el dopaje estuvo mal, pero el lo reconoce y se arrepiente, pero lo que mas me emociono y por eso este mensaje, hay que ser valiente y tener coraje para que frente a millones de personas contar su historia, su verdad, nos guste o no lo que vimos y escuchamos.

Como persona……. me saco el sombrero, lo felicito y lo sigo apoyando.

Hace un ratito lei una reflexion sobre todo lo sucedido con Lance y tomo prestada la siguiente frase que expresa exactamente como me siento: “Yo hoy me despido del ídolo y abrazo al ser humano, al que no juzgo, sino que aspiraría verlo aceptando sus derrota y construyendo triunfos sustentables sobre el trofeo de la verdad, sea cual sea.”
    Arriba Lance!!!!!!

148. Helen Luisa says:

Now, due to this man using cancer as an excuse for his lies and cheating, every survivor will face the prejudice that all cancer survivors do the same. We face enough prejudices in our lives. He is a disagree, don’t condone his behaviour. He chose to cheat and lie because of cancer, I chose to volunteer in orphanages and refugee camps. Now, because of this man, I and every survivor like me will be doubted. He did not live strong, he lived a lie and disgraced us all in the process. Did you accept his apology because everyone deserves a second chance? He already was given a second chance at life, a second chance that millions do not get, yet look what he did with it. He has brought more harm, more prejudice and more isolation to survivors and people living with the illness. He is a disgrace and it is time for you to admit this, before your foundation collapses with him. Time to change your colour scheme.

149. From a breast cancer survivor. Lance’s lying, cheating, bullying, destorying people’s lives, suing people who told the truth, horrible name calling of women, making and raising millons – that’s a Hero? Those are the “sins” that most of us do daily or in a lifetime? I don’t think so… The man I saw on Oprah is a very, very sad man and not a Hero who needs a lot of help and therapy to learn to feel. Wow, going through cancer typically changes your life becuase you know every moment is precious. Most men and cancer patients I have met on my journey typically want to live a more real and honest life. So the “Hero” you describe as the LiveStrong (LS) founder, is not a Hero, and has only one thing in common with us — he fought and beat cancer. That is a gift that not all cancer patients get. The Heros of the LS foundation are all of you/us who fight and fought cancer. LS needs another representative to continue to do the good works of the LiveStrong program and continue to raise money, but I for one am glad Lance is gone. Good job LS!

150. This message board is another lie. Post people’s actual responses instead of cherry picking the ones that push your agenda.

151. I stand with Livestrong. I am a cancer survivor and I appreciate all that you’ve done for myself and everyone else who has dealt or dealing with cancer and their loved ones. Much mahalo!

152. Andrew L says:

Lance? Lance who?

My family and I held him on a pedestal for many years, we were inspired by his dedication to cycling and his fight with prostate cancer!

It was only when a (doctor) friend pointed out some years ago just after he completed his studies in urology a specialised field of medicine. He commented on his concerns with Lances performance and the onset of his protate cancer?

I’m no doctor so I can’t explain the intricate details, but I’m sure someone else can!

But he went on to explain that an over increase in testosterone becomes your prostates enemy! I’ll leave it there and allow more qualified individuals to explain what occurs and why!

But these were definitely strong early indicators to the medico’s and officials into Lance Armstrongs use of performance enhancing drugs!

The warning indicators were ignored in favour of money, prestige, self promotion ( and I don’t mean just Lance) and the benefits to the sport of cycling! So the system knew and turned a blind eye. Why? Obviously the Tour de France became much more popular with Lance Armstrong racing. Corporations globally benefited…… So all in all it was about selfish greed from all parties not just Lance! He was the just the face and an egocentric puppet!

Anyway all that aside the positive off shoot is the legacy of having a foundation LiveStrong! It’s been invaluable to many people not just the USA but here in Australia. So I will continue to support the organisation.

But if I feel Lance or any organisation/corporation obtains monitory benefit then “It’s Bull Shit and I’m out”

So I wish the foundation every success and continue your great work, but please ensure the founder and Co are gone and no longer benefit. That would be a disgrace and the final insult to all your supporters.

Hence why I started with Lance? Lance who?

153. Cheers to you Becky! Great story. You sound like an incredibly strong woman and I wish you all the best!

154. Helen, this is a poor interpretation which you’re trying to phrase negatively. Of course people who fight hard die just like some hardly try and survive… But your odds are far better if you’ve got a fighter atitude. There is empirical data on that fact.

Now I’ve actually written a piece on one of my foundation’s campaigns about getting rid of the ”they lost their battle” terminology when referring to patients who didn’t make it. In nutshell, I think the ones who died fighting their cancers didn’t ‘lose’ in the same way soldiers who die in battle defending a cause did not lose.

Those who passed away are winners to me as their memories are what inspired so many, myself included, in keeping up the fight against cancer. They’ve inspired us to raise awareness of the many less obvious issues that come during and after cancer; they’ve inspired to raise funds to allow crucial research and purchasing equipment for more accurate and less damaging treatments…They WON in leaving behind a legacy, no matter how many knew their names, with each passing, hundreds and thousands more are driven to help the fight in their respective ways…

Surviving cancer is about putting all odds in your favor. It’s choosing the best course of treatments complemented with various sources of support from psychosocial ressources to holistic health to help in making the treatment’s efficiency optimal. It’s all the physical combined with the best possible psyche to not belittle the importance of the mind’s effects on the physical…it is all this combined with a bit of luck. Sadly luck is the wildcard. You can be a person with horrible nutrition habits, a poor family history, smoking and taking drugs daily and never exercising, and never be sick…Or you can be the image of health yet be diagnosed with cancer as an olympic level athlete.

Lady Luck is fickle. But the power of determination is never to be underestimated.

155. I think you miss the point friend. Cancer is not a free pass allowing people to cheat and abuse the system. I’m not condoning cheating in sports. I’m condoning the attitude Lance had in the face of his cancer. Lance the Tour de France winner/cheater and Lance the Jerk are two different things. The latter is the one relevant to the cancer. It takes a stubborn ruthless attitude to face the challenges of cancer everyday. If there is a good time to be a little selfish in thinking about your own needs before that of others, it sure as hell is when fighting cancer.

LiveStrong was not built on the legacy of a Tour de France winner, it was built on that of a survivor. So the drugs and the cheating is irrelevant to me. I never aimed to be like Lance, but in some occasions, being a little bit like him in the personality side can be beneficial to one’s survival odds.

156. Disgusted with Hollywood says:

He lied for so many years, to so many people that “hero” is not the word I would use to describe this man. Why does anyone have to dope to become an notable athlete? Because they know they are not good enough to win without it. He lied to his family, his fans, his foundation, his sport, his fellow cyclists ….I do not feel sorry for him one bit. Who I do feel sorry for is his family and this foundation. They are the true victims of this scandal. His facebook page “Lance Armstrong” is still stating that he won 7 Tour de France…I wonder who the admin of that page is…it really should be changed……

157. Cris B says:

A lot of people on here are stupid for forgiving a man who lied to the world on multiple occasions. He’s a compulsive liar, and he will not be remembered as an athlete, but rather a liar. He obviously wasn’t thinking about YOUR feelings over the years with his lies, so why should YOU forgive him again?

158. Paras Jethwa says:

Agree with Greg. There were lots of cheats out there – but only one has done something so positive with the fame. It is a great pity about the legacy he leaves.

159. what lance has said and confessed does not change how i feel about livestrong whatsover! livestrong is a wonderful organization that helps so many and i will always give my support. as far as lance i think people will in time forgive him. he is taking an important and neccessary step in the healing process. i think there is a wonderful person there and he is struggling. personally i respect him even more for telling the truth. he will be a better person and father for it. we love you lance. linda bischopink. fan and livestrong supporter.

160. it took a lot of courage to comfe before the world and admit that you had lied. you arent just defined as a cyclist. you are a son, a father , someone’s friend and mentor, a cancer survivor,etc. the people who really care about you will not abandon you and turn their backs on you because you have fallen from grace. what a tough spot to be in. sure we are disappointed . but use this as a second chance and grow from it and people will grow to trust you again.

161. Ron Geraci says:

This is a great comment. I think it’s very wise and encapsulates so much of this sad situation. Pressing the nuclear button of renaming Livestrong may ultimately not be the best option or a necessary option — I personally hope it is not — but I do very much hope that its pros and cons are being seriously discussed by Livestrong’s leaders and appropriate experts. I suppose the ultimate question will come down to donors, goodwill, and money — and how damaging, neutral or even positive (which I suppose is possible, given increased awareness and any sympathy factor) Armstrong’s image connection turns out to be financially in the near future.
    Unlike with Tiger Woods or other active athletes, I don’t know if one could reasonably forsee a rehabilitation of Armstrong’s brand, given that he’s no longer a top competitor in his sport and he doesn’t have any other established arena to excel in (such as acting, with Arnold S.).
    Wronged people and disgruntled sponsors will likely have their hands out very quickly if Armstrong makes any bold move or generates any significant payday, which will probably be a complicating factor with the obligatory confessional book we should be seeing announced any time now. As there may be very few ways that Armstrong could successfully orchestrate an image comeback, and Livestrong’s hopes that any negative affects from his connection will diminish over time are anything but certain, rebranding the organization may be a painful necessary step for its long-term benefit.
    If that dire step must be taken, I hope Livestrong’s leaders do so boldly and unapologetically–with distant support from Armstrong and the rational understanding of the people who still see him as a hero.

162. Jennifer L. says:

I do not agree with the choices Lance Armstrong made in his cycling career, but I cannot hate him or diminish what he did in creating Livestrong. I will always support this foundation, regardless of his choices. And I will always admire him for establishing it in the first place. My husband, sadly, lost his battle with cancer. But when the American Cancer Society and other organizations would offer us no help, Livestrong did. I will always support that!

163. Pablo says:

How can we defend the undefendable?

Being a good person on one side and being a criminal on the other does not bring a perfect balance. He only confessed because he got cought!!

He still stole the life of 7 other Athletes who deserved their Victory and deserved their glory! Sabotaging other people´s life should be way more severely punished! He didn´t just lied… he destroyed carreers!

If I create a Foundation against Breast Cancer on one side and on the other I rob a bank to finance it… Do i get forgiveness???? Will the Cops cut me some slack??

7 years in Jail per 7 Athletes whose carreer got stolen sounds fair to me.

Crying in front of the camera does not make things right.

164. You know Greg.v he could not have made the foundation such a success nor could he have inspired so many had he not made the choices he did. He is who he is and for that I am grateful… I will forever LIVESTRONG in his name.

165. Lance one said Cancer was the best thing to happen to him because it changed him. I think we need to look at the total package that is Lance. He said in the interview that without out the enhancements, in his opinion, he would not have won. Had he not won 7 consecutive times he would not have had the same impact on the foundation, cycling, empowering people to fight and LIVESTRONG. He is the man he is today because of the choices he made in his life and he is now standing behind those choices and living up to them. I look forward to see what the next decade brings to Lance and I will forever LIVESTRONG in his name.

166. I don’t understand why all Lance’s sports gear sponsors dropped him so quickly (especially after all the money he made them). And after all isn’t that the lure of their gear to us amateur athletes… anything that would give us a little edge? He should now be the poster boy. It is the media and non athletes who have all the negativity towards sponsoring athletes they feel are less than honorably… and they are the ones who never bought a Trek bike or Nike cold weather gear. And they are the ones who will forget this whole event as soon as the next athlete or politician gets caught!

167. says:

Eleven years ago I was fighting for my life. A cancer diagnosis out of
    nowhere. Why me, why now I’m too young for this. Did what I had to do at the
    time. Chemotherapy was tough and after the 4th treatment I was asked if I
    wanted to continue. I had two left. I’ve always been a fighter, never give up,
    survivor at heart and this health crisis I was going through was not easy.
    Really tough. Lance’s book came at the right time, critical time for me. Very
    inspired by his story, will, determination, it gave me the strength and
    emotional support, encouragement to ‘push through’ the last two. I made it, did
    it, survived and have been thriving ever since. Be Strong – yes! Thank you
    Lance, you will always be my hero! We all make mistakes, and I have certainly made
    some since my ordeal, it’s part of being human. Time to heal again Lance, in a
    different way this time. You can do it and now you have the strength of all of
    us that were inspired by your fight against all odds in battling this disease.

Forever grateful, thank you for being you, Cheryl N.

168. petit bruno says:

bonjour, pourrais je avoir une affiche de la fondation