Official Statement from the LIVESTRONG Foundation

by

AUSTIN, Texas – Jan. 16, 2013 – Due to the number of media inquiries regarding Lance Armstrong’s interview with Oprah Winfrey airing this Thursday and Friday, the LIVESTRONG Foundation today issued the following statement:

“This week, Lance came to the LIVESTRONG Foundation to talk to our team in person. He expressed his regret for the stress the team suffered in recent years as a result of the controversy surrounding his cycling career. He asked that they stay focused on serving people affected by cancer, something our team has always done excellently and will continue to do.

We expect Lance to be completely truthful and forthcoming in his interview and with all of us in the cancer community. We expect we will have more to say at that time. Regardless, we are charting a strong, independent course forward that is focused on helping people overcome financial, emotional and physical challenges related to cancer. Inspired by the people with cancer whom we serve, we feel confident and optimistic about the Foundation’s future and welcome an end to speculation.”

9 thoughts on “Official Statement from the LIVESTRONG Foundation”

1. Claire Saenz says:

This is a bit more like it. As you move forward through the next few weeks, remember that your reactions during this period will be what people remember. You will not get a chance to redo the public stances you take during this time when your founder is finally–after years of vicious denials–admitting to actions that most of us in the public find absolutely appalling. You must not defend him and you must not defend yourself against the criticism you will get for your association with him. Keep your collective chins up, knowing that you absolutely do good work, but if you want to survive, resist the temptation to issue denouncements of your detractors. Take the high road and remind us of what you do and why you do it.

2. Kate Slevin says:

As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that Livestrong has been key to my recovery and a superb support to my family. Regardless of present issues circling Lance Armstrong, We should NEVER lose track of the fact that Lance started Livestrong- he did not have to but chose to: he is a hero in my eyes and those of my family. Walk in my shoes– your tune will change.

3. Jj says:

And Lance Armstrong should be a part of the organization without question.

4. Jj says:

Let’s not take down goliath and ignore David. What’s in his or her closet?

5. I think the general public needs to be careful about how we react to this. No doubt that Lance messed up. But, we can’t get angry with LiveStrong because they believed in their founder and “believed” him over the years. There are going to be stories, lies and truths that come out…. In the end, we can’t give up an organization for one mans mistakes. If we did that there would be no America. – we love you LiveStrong!

6. Michelle B. says:

I have lost family and friends to cancer. I have worn a LIVESTRONG band from day one. I will continue to wear it in support of cancer research, those fighting the battle with cancer and in memory of my beautiful Mother. I will always have respect for Lance Armstrong for starting this organization. I hope others do not lose sight of the incredible work of this organization. Please continue to supoort cancer research!

7. Darrell Lim says:

he may have fallen from grace but did he did the right thing by confessing..absolutely. To believe doping would just cease in sports after Lance Armstrong.. not a chance. if you dig deep the only way to the future is to revolutionise competitve sports. Failing to change this mindset would only lead to bigger problems only to see someday Lance Armstrong was just the tip of the iceberg.

8. This is why I can’t really hate Lance. NO ONE in life is perfect. Ok, lying in such a manner is wrong but like other people have wrote, he started a wonderful charity in LiveStrong which thankfully is still thriving since this whole fiasco began. I saw someone wearing a ‘DopeStrong’ T shirt recently and that made me sad. I can rest easy in the fact that Lance was an amazing cyclist with or without PED’s! He messed up on a massive scale but his legacy will lie with creating LiveStrong now as far as I’m concerned. People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone etc etc. Like I said, NO ONE is perfect. Viva LIVESTRONG.

9. cirillos@aol.com says:

Personally, I’m offended by the Official Statement that you just released and emailed to me. I’m actually astonished by it. “We expect Lance to be completely truthful and forthcoming in his interview and with all of us in the cancer community. ” Really?

I’m really happy that this organization has provided help and support to so many, but, when I see the Livestrong logo on anything, I will be staying away. He is the antithesis of what an organization like this should stand for. Unfortunately the image of Lance Armstrong, and what he represents, is in inextricable from your brand.