In Response to the New York Times

The LIVESTRONG Foundation issued the following statement in response to false insinuations published today in The New York Times.

“The LIVESTRONG Foundation fights to improve the lives of people affected by cancer — today as they navigate the financial, practical and emotional challenges that accompany cancer, and tomorrow as they move beyond the disease. The LIVESTRONG Foundation is thriving and in a very strong position to continue our mission-critical work into the years ahead. The Foundation ended 2012, its 15th anniversary year, generating more than $48 million in revenue; another financially successful year amidst tough economic conditions for most in the philanthropic community. Our roster of groundbreaking cause marketing partnerships is strong and growing, recently adding several including car2go, UMB/Visa, Facebook and FTD. We have a great lineup of events. And, our truest measure of our impact, we served more people than ever before through our cancer support services in 2012 and saw exciting progress and expansion across our programs. Our plans for 2013 are robust, focused on strengthening current programs, expanding support services where survivors report to us that gaps remain, and reaching more people, particularly in low-income and minority communities. We are continuing to bring in donors to make these expansions possible.

“Our purpose with all agreements, including those with Demand Media, Bristol-Myers Squibb and FRS, is singular and simple: help ensure the long-term financial health of our organization so we can continue fighting to improve the lives of people affected by cancer. We recognize that all successful partnerships benefit both sides, but our duty and focus in entering into them is only to our own mission and to those we serve, no one else. For instance, while we are deeply grateful to our founder, Lance Armstrong, who no longer serves on our Board of Directors, for helping us to raise more than $500 million over 15 years, it has never been the Foundation’s aim in any activity, including lobbying or marketing agreements, to shield, protect or benefit him in any way. We take issue with the story’s insinuation otherwise about Lance and other partnerships, and note it contained not proof but instead only one individual’s personal feelings.

“We specifically take issue with the publication of thinly sourced suggestions that the LIVESTRONG Foundation’s marketing agreements — their existence, the process of setting them up or any other aspect — or other Foundation activities or relationships are in any way improper or questionable. We are, in fact, proud of our record of providing a trailblazing example of how innovative non-profits can think like for-profits, reach new audiences, find ways to ensure the health of their organizations and, in the end, produce even greater results for the needs they serve. We have always complied with both the letter and the spirit of all laws, regulations and reporting requirements in all of our work, including all contracts, agreements and payments to outside parties. To ensure this is the case, every agreement the Foundation enters into is rigorously reviewed and approved by an expert, independent third-party counsel before it is accepted by the executive committee of our board of directors.

“Our mission and our work are too important to us to do otherwise and while questions may be uncomfortable, we do welcome the opportunity to be transparent about our normal business practices. Independent experts agree, as the LIVESTRONG Foundation is recognized by multiple sources as one of the most highly-rated cancer non-profit organizations in the United States. This is in large part due to our governance procedures, to our endowment strength and to the fact that we have invested 82 percent of each dollar raised directly in programs, initiatives and advocacy efforts that support people affected by cancer. We are a Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance accredited charity seal holder; we completed the National Health Council’s Standards of Excellence Certification Program; we are rated four out of four stars by Charity Navigator; we are A- rated by American Institute of Philanthropy; and we are ranked as one of the top three cancer organizations by Philanthropedia.”

1. guest says:

It scares me to think that one day there might not be a Livestrong. No other organization provides the vital, critical, personal services that Livestrong does. It sickens and infuriates me that so-called journalists seek to trash Livestrong in an effort to make hay off the Armstrong scandal. These people are unconscionably irresponsible and are inflicting irreparable damage to millions of people worldwide. Please stop.

2. BiffBosh says:

The New York Times should be thoroughly ashamed of itself in its grubby attempts to implicate the Livestrong Foundation through the Armstrong affair.Right,that’s my NYT subscription cancelled…I suggest others do the same.

3. Claire Saenz says:

I’m not saying that livestrong is a bad organization, but let’s get real, ok? The material in the NY Times is neither false nor is it thinly sourced. It’s true. If the charity is going to get beyond this difficulty, it’s going to have to take a different tack than Armstrong did. Cut the defensiveness. Tell the truth. Be transparent. Admit that the foundation was initially based on a bunch of lies and explain why it is relevant anyway.

4. JR says:

Stop lashing out at every person and piece of journalism that dares to question anything about your organization. Instead, face the fact that your founder is a world class liar and cheat. Get your own house in order before you start casting stones.

1. LIVESTRONG says:

There’s a difference between lashing out and defending an organization against innuendo and vague attacks. We have incredibly high standards and have received highest marks from all the major charity watch dog groups including: Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance, National Health Council,
      Charity Navigator, American Institute of Philanthropy and

1. Mikki Melinda Anderson says:

I love what LiveStrong has done for cancer survivors. But as a donor and long time ardent Armstrong supporter and fan, it has been extremely sad to see his long fall from grace and to think that my husband and I were duped into donating over $7,000 from our person money and over $3,000 from our friends, to give to LAF. Would we have done so without thinking Lance was clean and winning with honor? Absolutely not and I am in the onccology massage field (as well as other techniques). The question here for us is two fold: Can we get out money back since it was given under false pretenses from Lance? And how can we and anyone really, trust that you are the upstanding, honest foundation you say you are when Lance cheated everyone all this time?

Do you understand?

1. You didn’t donate any money to Lance Armstrong, you donated to the millions of people who are fighting cancer. By asking for your money back you are saying you don’t care in the slightest about the dying people you helped.

2. Emma says:

AGREE!!! sometimes people need to harden up and face reality, your founder and face of the foundation for so many years is fake, a cheat, a liar and a fraud and has duped people into donating millions of dollars based on his ‘success’ and being such a ‘positive role model’. Just gotten rid of my Livestrong bracelet and will no longer be supporting this foundation. Feeling very cheated.

3. Alan Jarrett says:

Who are all these people commenting from postions of such righteousness? It looks and sounds just like more guilty people trying to hide behind agressive behavior to disguise their own flaws and shortcomings. As Dr. Phil would say, “How’s that workin for ya?”

5. The media will always try to drag everyone they can into a sensational story to reap the benefits of the ratings. It is sickening. I worked with the staff of livestrong while they visited Columbus For Cancer Conference in 2008 and I enjoyed every minute ! I have worked with many local and national non-profits over the years and the LiveStrong staff was the most organized , put together group I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I appreciate everything you do and please do not take to heart the misguided attacks. I still admire Lance no matter what he did or didn’t do on the bike he overcame the odds and then put his best foot forward to help mankind ! Worthy Champion if you ask me !

6. CarolNYC175 says:

As a cancer survivor, I encourage you to dissolve Livestrong Foundation and put your resources in another cancer charity or start a new one with a different name. It is clear that the link with Lance Armstrong is a damaging one. Also until you restructure, people will always doubt your purpose. So if your true purpose is to support cancer survivors then rebuild and remove any taint from Armstrong. Also remove any questionable expenses to PR firms, etc. and devote the majority of your donations to your mission.

7. Abbey Normal says:

Lance is awesome. I watch the Tour de France every year and its naive to think that any of these competitors/teams don’t have the best medicine and technology available to help in nightly recovery. 21 days 2100 miles through the Alps – Come on people…for heaven sake use your 3lbs. I’m tired of those people who seem intent on sullying Lance’s career legacy and reputation. Lance is an amazing athlete and any revelation he makes is of no value. What is valuable? The organizations he has helps, the foundation that he founded, and the individuals he has touched.

Anyway, during the tour when the team leader falls behind, the team rally’s to protect and help him and I would suggest we all do that now. All these high performance athletes are amazing. What they do, how they train, their discipline and fortitude to compete at that level is mind boggling. It wasn’t like Lance and his team sailed by these other riders on the pharmaceutical rainbow – it was neck and neck sometimes barely eking ahead to win. Not to say “everyone is doing it” because that would be irresponsible but If everyone stops pretending then these athletes can stop pretending.

Go Lance! Go Team USPS/Discovery! Go Team Radio Shack! Go LiveStrong foundation!

I dont care if Lance has the jersey or the medals – I watched his tour performances and I know he is worthy to be called a champion.

8. LockedCarmina says:

It is interesting to see that the name Lance Armstrong has been deleted from every single page on this website. It is even more interesting to see how you still close your eyes to the fact that he is a liar and a criminal. If you want to survive this, you should start saying just that, not keep quiet, but tell people that you distance yourself from this moron.

1. LIVESTRONG says:

It really isn’t all that interesting as we made our name change public and posted in a press release and on our website and blog. Here’s the link to the announcement: and

1. hmmm says:

so you knew this was coming, and was just preparing for it? well not really a good job at it either…

9. My girlfriend and I both have terminal lung
    cancer. Penny and I are grateful for all the support and information we have received
    from the Livestrong Foundation, we will continue to support your organization
    and the awesome work you do for cancer survivors.

10. ride2beatcancer says:

Admittedly I was so furious over Lance’s guilt I tossed out every Livestrong item I had bought. However, I am a two time cancer survivor and Lance was not and IS not Armstrong. I do not at all believe Livestrong has ever behaved improperly nor tried to help mr. armstrong out in any way since he’s left. I will support Livestrong as it is a terrific organization. I just wish you were in Canada as well.

1. LIVESTRONG says:

We just started funding a program in Canada called Cancer Transitions. The program is targeted to those who have completed their treatment
      within the last 24 months; however, Cancer Transitions may benefit
      survivors at any time in their survivorship beyond 24 months. The
      program covers the benefits of exercise, nutrition, emotional support,
      and medical management—core issues for cancer survivors.

11. DesertChildAZ says:

My husband was in the cycling community in Austin years ago. Recent admissions by Lance come as no surprise and while we’ve been pretty disgusted for years knowing that the claims against him were true while he was repeatedly glorified, we’re satisfied to see him confess to his lies. That said, I do hope that Livestrong continues and succeeds. I believe good can come from this. Too bad Lance didn’t just focus his efforts solely on Livestrong, instead of racing…he could have left a great and untarnished legacy. But instead his ego got the best of him and look at him now as the walls all fall down around him. Such a shame.

1. LiveStrong would have never seen the light of day if not for Lance’s journey into fame. While we may question the credibility of his Tour victories, the outcome was still the greatest cancer fighting initiative ever pursued by a non-profit organization. LiveStrong deserves all the credit in the world in what they’ve accomplished. I’m also proud to be part of the Young Adult Alliance in Canada. Please people I know you’re rattled by the cheating, but the philanthropy was always the good part of Lance Armstrong.

1. cj01950 says:

The Jimmy Fund is the ‘greatest cancer fighting initiative ever pursued by a non-profit”. Much longer history and directly funds research for cancer. Check it out:

The Jimmy Fund has raised more than $750 million since it was founded in 1948. More than 89 cents per dollar raised is directed toward Dana-Farber’s ultimate goal — eradicating cancer and related diseases, and the fear they engender.

12. jo shults says:

I am an Oncology R.N. who sees people fighting for their lifes everyday. On my way home I happen to hear a interveiw with David Walsh who has been persecuting Lance Armstrong for 13 years and has written several books on Lance.(Bet ya made some money off of those did you donate it to a charity?) In my opinion Lance Armstrong beat cancer and got back on a bike and did a incredibly brave thing, entering theTour de France again and again and again. He took drugs to help himself win but he also took drugs to beat cancer don’t most cancer patients take drugs to fight cancer. Drugs are prescribed for chemo, premeds, antinausea, for anemia for neutropenia. We as a society take drugs for everything including children who fidget to much in school ADD,people who can’t sleep diabetes, etc. I think Lance Armstrong is an incredible athlete. Not too many people including David Walsh could even attempt to be a world class athlete like him. He just did’nt pop some pills and jump on a bike and win all those races he worked his ass off he did this after beating cancer and as an eye witness to the misery that can come with cancer treatments I applaud Lance Armstrong for this ! And he started an important charity LIVESTRONG! Stand by Lance!

13. Michael Koch says:

Come on, did you really all believed that Armstrong won 7 TdF without the use of doping?, while everybody else in the game was doped? Well of course, the only one who could beat all the other doped athletics, must be an American!
    How naive can one be?, guess this is one of the reasons why so many feel terribly disappointed, Armstrong cracked the picture of Americans as Superhumans! Must be why part of America treats him so harsh these days.
    Leave LA alone with his guilt, let him “pay back” by doing what he is doing with Livestrong, it’s actually not that bad so far.
    He may not be my bike hero anymore, but what he initiated with Livestrong, is so much more important to cancer victims all over the world. Therefore, my support to Livestrong is still valid and strong, despite Armstrongs doping mistakes.

14. jo says:

Haters gonna hate… Keep up your wonderful work so that breast cancer survivors, like my sis’, don’t lose hope!

15. Guest says:

I suggest you change your organization’s name and deny funding to any channel that would in turn benefit Armstrong. You must, literally, clear your name. Open your books and list all agencies you fund, in whole or in part. If indeed you have the momentum you say you have in the cancer community, it will propel you into continuing your good work under a new identity.

16. Brad Jennings says:

I just watched the first interview segment with Lance and Oprah and need to see the next episode as I’m hoping to hear his comments on Livestrong. I’m not a fan of cycling and only began to follow Lance because of his fight with cancer. Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 46. I proudly wore my yellow bracelet into surgery as they removed my prostate I proudly wore my yellow bracelet as I progressed through several months of healing. I believed in the messaging of Livestrong and to stay tough, cowboy up and fight hard. Lance was not honest and he got caught. But he is not a devil and did not kill people, not a racist, not a rapist, does not shoot up kids in schools or movie theaters. He is a knucklehead for sure but that’s about it
    I’m a cancer survivor and fought my butt off to recover and never felt sorry for myself. I stayed strong and I Live Strong! Keep up the great work LS foundation

Prostate Cancer Survivor

17. cj01950 says:

Much like Tylenol in the 1980s, Livestrong needs to re-brand. Distance yourselves by miles from the defiant, lying, cheating founder and focus on the important mission: helping people deal with and overcome cancer. Probably, you will need a new name, logo and color scheme but that is easy. In time, people will forget about Lance Liestrong and what should remain is your original noble mission. I for one would donate again with gusto if you do so.