by Greg Lee
As we enter the holiday season, it’s a time to reflect on all that we have accomplished during the year, give thanks to those who have helped make it possible, and focus on the year ahead.
While we’ve seen our share of cloudy skies in 2012, our team of partners, volunteers, supporters, and staff have continually placed the needs of the cancer community above all else. As a result, this was a year of amazing accomplishments.
A Few of Our 2012 Program Highlights:
- Our Navigation Services Team saved constituents more than $4.5 million in health care and medical costs
- Distributed 43,017 LIVESTRONG Guidebooks to cancer patients, friends, family, and caregivers along with 142,809 Living after Cancer brochures
- Provided website and cancer support services to 356,812 unique visitors
- Provided Hispanic / Latino cancer support services to 43,247 cancer survivors
- Provided phone support through our navigation services to more than 13,211 cancer survivors, friends, family, and caregivers
- Implemented the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program at 133 YMCA locations in 40 cities across the U.S. – more than 3,182 people completed the program in 2012
- Impacted 184,420 students and teachers with the LIVESTRONG at School Program
- Trained 47,763 Healthcare Professionals on Current Cancer practices and trends
- Trained 581 Promotors via forums, on-line tools, and Migrant Health Centers
- Generated more than 7,138 volunteer hours
- Added 831,412 new grassroots supporters to the movement; advocates who assist in heightening awareness, and engage in public policy matters impacting the cancer community
- 236,927 people have taken action on-line to support specific advocacy initiatives
- 3,215 Young Adults Served
- 70,947 Men Served
A Special Thanks
Our Core Values begin with the statement…..”we change the way the world fights cancer”, followed immediately by the words……”we know that we can’t do it alone.” Our work, our reach, and our impact are only possible because of the great team we have standing right alongside us in the fight against cancer:
- Partners – Our corporate partners help us leverage and extend the reach of LIVESTRONG to customers and communities around the globe. We are so thankful and appreciative for their continued support.
- Donors and Supporters – A special thanks to the more than 140,000 donors, 35,000 purchasers of LIVESTRONG merchandise, and 12,750 Team LIVESTRONG participants that raise money and provide funding to help make our work possible. Please know that more than 82% of each dollar you help us raise is going directly to support our cancer programs and initiatives.
- LIVESTRONG Leaders – In local communities throughout the U.S. and the world, these volunteers work tirelessly to promote LIVESTRONG’s navigation services, resources and programs; to support advocacy around important policy and legislation; and to initiate community-specific activities. To many, you are LIVESTRONG in action. And we couldn’t be prouder.
- LIVESTRONG Board of Directors – Your oversight and leadership ensures that our governance and operating practices are among the best as rated by the National Health Council, the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Navigator, and the American Institute of Philanthropy.
- LIVESTRONG Managers and Staff – Simply among the best there is. Your commitment to cancer survivors and constituents is demonstrated every day. You routinely turn challenges into opportunities, and put the needs of others ahead of your own.
- Lance Armstrong – For the vision and drive to create a foundation that has forever changed the way the world fights cancer. You took the time and energy to set this organization on a path and trajectory for success. Your first priority from day one has been focused on the mission of the foundation and the 28 million cancer survivors around the globe. A priority that remains true today.
Our Focus Going Forward
As we close the books on 2012 and begin the New Year, we remain focused on the highest priorities:
- Patient-Centered Care – Develop and advance programs, policies, and systems by keeping the needs of people affected by cancer at the center of everything we do
- Community – Form and engage communities in authentic and meaningful ways
- Brand Management – Grow and leverage the LIVESTRONG brand in service to our mission
- Sustainability – Ensure long-term programmatic, financial, and operational sustainability
We are truly fortunate to be where we are; with a world full of opportunity right ahead, with a team of volunteers, supporters, and staff ready to act, and a cancer community that needs our vital help. We are refreshed, focused, and ready to go to work.
Thanks for your continued support. Have a happy and safe holiday season!
Greg D. Lee, CPA
Chief Financial Officer