LIVESTRONG Day 2012

by

Today is LIVESTRONG Day – The Lance Armstrong Foundation’s global day of action. Today we celebrate the 28 million people worldwide facing the disease and honor all those that have lost their lives in a tough fight.

Sixteen years ago Lance heard the words that no 25 year old should ever have to hear, “You have cancer and you have less than 40% chance of living.” The cancer had spread from his testicle to his brain, abdomen and lungs. The future looked bleak to most…but not to him. He had the determination to succeed and the will to live. Lance created the foundation to help others facing insurmountable odds and to provide them the strength and knowledge they need to come out of treatment on top.

We invite you to visit www.livestrongday.org to view messages of support that were submitted from all over the world and please add your own. This is a great opportunity to share your support for the 28 million worldwide affected by cancer. Please share this website with your friends and family, because we are a community spirit and in the fight.

89 Comments

1. I join LIVESTRONG.ORG today in memory of Aunt Louise and Aunt Delphine for all the years they fought so hard. YOU HAVE BEATEN CANCER IN THE GLORY OF GOD and you are missed! And in honor of all those I know, especially Aunt Eleanor and my close friend M.B., who most recently have fought and won against breast cancer! Hope and strength to the 28 million. And honor to Lance for your dedication. LIVESTRONG!

2. Karla Vital says:

I am proud to stand with the millions of cancer survivors, and with the families of those who have passed on this #LIVESTRONGDay

3. Jim Sardella says:

I love my Battle Mode T-shirt !

4. Simonelli830 says:

Honoring Grandma and Wes and celebrating Lonnie, Tammy, Mary and many others today!

5. This day is dedicated to those who lost their fight, are still fighting and those who beat the fight against this killer. May your bright and shiny armor lead us in this war.

6. Brifoyle says:

I am helping to fight cancer. Celebrate LIVESTRONG!!

7. Meta0257 says:

Love to my husband who let chemo blast his body but never his spirit!

8. Mackenzievicky says:

To all the cancer survivers, this is for you x

9. I am dedicating this to all my loved ones who have lost their fight, are still fighting or beat their fight against this killer. May your bright and shiny armor lead us to victory in this war.

10. “Don’t count the days, make the days count.”

-Muhammad Ali

11. “Don’t count the days, make the days count.”

-Muhammad Ali

12. Dawn Blacker says:

The Livestrong program made a huge difference in my life and I’m grateful to have participated in it through the YMCA of Dane County in Madison, WI! May the program continue to help others who have completed cancer treatments to rebuild strength, flexibility, balance and confidence to get healthy!

13. Michael Davis says:

I am dedicating #LIVESTRONGDay to John Hedberg who continues to fight cancer as we speak!

14. Jeremy Johnson says:

Today is a great day to support Livestrong. I am a Livestrong believer and on October 13th I am riding my bicycle 100+ miles to raise money for Livestrong. My goal is $1,000 and if you would like to help me reach my goal, go under Grass Roots Fundraising and look up Jeremy Johnson. Any amount is appreciated and you know is going to a good cause. Thank You for your support!!!!

15. Marvin says:

Bruce Millikin, JUST WIN!

16. Cogit8r says:

I am dedicating this Livestrong Day to the celebration of all of those afflicted with cancer.

17. As a 26 year old survivor I would like to dedicate this day to those who have fought or are in the fight!!! LIVESTRONG!!!!

18. Tammy Smith says:

In memory of my great aunt and uncle and in honor of the survivors and fighters!!
    25 years for me!

19. Kate says:

Congratulations to Keith Lockwood who is offically out of remission as of today, 1st October 2012.

20. Deborah Lewis says:

I am celebrating this LIVESTRONG Day to support the 28 million people worldwide who are affected by cancer. My daughter is a breast cancer survivor, but have lost many family members to different type cancers.

21. I am dedicating this to all my loved ones who have lost their fight, are still fighting or beat their fight against this killer. May your bright and shiny armor lead us to victory in this war.

22. Brian Burck says:

The rest of my life is now dedicated to helping others…LIVESTRONG DAY…Celebrate it!!!

23. Marianne says:

Thank you Livestrong for supporting my friends. Could well be me next, too. My philosophy is that when things cannot be the way we want, what we CAN do is ?throw money at it?. Seriously ;?)

24. I’m showing my support for all of my fellow cancer survivors, patients, as well as those who have lost their battles with the disease. By his grace I have been granted the opportunity to continue to LIVESTRONG! CELEBRATE LIFE MY FRIENDS!

25. Tigersoul says:

It’s my birthday and I want to send a special dedication to the millions of people who are living with cancer, to the survivors and to those we have lost to this disease. Show your support today and every day. It affects all of us directly or indirectly

26. Tigersoul says:

27. Anjalipdogra says:

To the 28 million and the many more supporters.#livestrong day

28. Deanna says:

With Cancer – you often have to find your strength from those supporting you – that is true for both survivor and care-giver. Today be someones strength!

29. Charlene says:

I am dedicating this #LIVESTRONG Day to my step-dad. I know you can beat this! Stay STRONG!!! I love you. Your daughter Charlene

30. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my son Derick $ Danko who lost his battel to testicular cancer on March 9, 2007. Even though Derick now LIVES with Jesus, he continues to LIVESTRONG through all of us. Derick left behind two daughters McKenzie & Nazalia who miss him everyday. Until we see you again, remember to “Save A Place For Me”. Love and miss you everyday. Mom – Renea Rosson

31. I stand with LIVESTRONG and Lance Armstrong! Keep fighting!

32. Linnea Duff says:

I join in the celebration of LIVESTRONG DAY for those facing a cancer diagnosis and their families as well. LIVESTRONG offers generous support to organizations such as Camp Kesem, a camp for children ages 6-18 who have a parent with cancer. Camp Kesem filled an unmet need for our family, and will continue to do so for many, many more. #CampKesemLove!

33. Anna Daniels says:

I am dedicating this to my friend Edith Lynn Churchill. Love Ya and Miss You
    Anna Daniels

34. Fight – Live – Celebrate

35. I am celebrating my gorgeous cousin, who never let her diagnosis change her outlook, her attitude, or her grace. She always celebrated every day, and she still does, no matter what that day brings. She is true inspiration.

36. Lauran Dodge says:

I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my family and friends who have fought and are fighting.

37. Amy Roll says:

I’m dedicating LIVESTRONG to my coworker Joe Czop who is living strong with pancreatic cancer. YOU ROCK!

38. I join int the celebratio of LIVESTRONG DAY for those who fight every day whith their families. My grandfather who figth till the end, my aunt Nélida, my friend Petete, fighters and an example for me.

39. Peter Kelsey says:

Last week I was given my five year check up and it felt like this day would never come after being diagnosed in 2007. Thanks to the Mayo Clinic and Livestrong for treatment and support. Today is dedicated to all those who have been affected for their courage and love.

40. Kenzie Huber says:

To my amazing husband through chemos, radiation, tumors and 2 stem cell transplants…u are simply amazing :)

41. Willie Verhegghe says:

Long Live Livestrong and Lance and all the survivors worldwide !

42. This LIVESTRONG DAY message is for my baby sister Maureen who is the strongest, bravest person I know. She lives each day to the fullest with grace and courage. This message also goes out to my friends and family who are cancer survivors and to the ones we have lost to this horrible disease.
    Keep fighing the fight and Livestrong.

43. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG day to my family, especially my son, Jake, who gives me hope for the future and cheers me on always!!!

44. Karen Holst says:

I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my mother who passed from lung cancer almost a year ago AND to the 28 million around the world with cancer. Join me.

45. Allison_cirner says:

R.I.P. all of my family members who have passed away due to cancer. I love you and miss all of you. Shout out to my mom and aunt for defeating breast cancer. Way to be strong, ladies!

46. Karen Holst says:

47. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day in memory of my MOTHER (Barb), Cindy and Tom who fought hard against cancer. They are always in my heart and never forgotten! Miss you guys everyday!

And, the 28 million around the world effected by cancer.

48. As a 26 year old survivor I dedicate today to those who have fought or are fighting! LIVESTRONG!!!

49. I’m dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my MOTHER (Barb), Cindy and Tom who fought hard against cancer. Always in my heart, never forgotten! Miss you everyday!

And, the 28 million around the world effected by cancer. Let’s work together to end it…

50. Kristin P Anthony says:

I’m a survivor and I’m celebrating Livestrong Day in honor of all all survivors and for all the strong people beating cancer today.

51. Cynthia Eckl says:

We can be BIGGER than this disease. Viva LIVESTRONG

52. To all the survivors & the ones battling cancer now, God bless you.
    LIVESTRONG <3

53. Sue Scheer says:

I celebrate LIVESTRONG Day! The LIVESTRONG @ THE YMCA program at Feith Family Ozaukee YMCA, Saukville, WI helped to give me my life back and make me a strong person both physically and emotionally. I continue to meet the most amazing people through this program. LIVESTRONG eveyone!

54. Life is a journey. Cancer is a diagnostic term for a medical condition that may or may not be curable. When we are born into this world, our souls are given terminal bodies in which to dwell. Cancer is one of a plethora of ills and circumstances which alter our soul’s perception of the significance of our journey. As a leukemia survivor, I am thankful for God’s Love and grace, the cures for our terminal condition.

55. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my best friend, uncle and sister-in-law. And to all cancer survivors worldwide.

56. Suninspired says:

LIVESTRONG Day belongs to my brother Nils who LIVED STRONG everyday…And to my father…who continues his battle…

57. Tony says:

I am fighting right now, and thanks to LIVESTRONG I know I am not alone. Let’s win this fight!

58. As a survivor of synchronous osteosarcoma, I am honored to Celebrate LiveSTRONG Day with 28 million of my fellow cancer survivors!

59. Rob Williamson says:

My mum has just been diagnosed with pancreactic cancer she has beaten cancer once I know she can do it again although 69 years young shes a fighter and has lots to fight for

60. My mother passed away from breast cancer in 1992, since then, I have had the privilege of interacting with the folks at ProjectValentine.org as well as a dear friend and former co-worker who is fighting cancer and seems to bring out the best in everyone she comes in contact with. Now, I am honored to help spread the message for LIVESTRONG Day.

61. Theoleo808 says:

Breast, colon, and prostrate cancer, have taken it’s toll on both sides of my family. Breast cancer though has, unfortunately been the most prevalent. I am happy to say, my grandmother, mother, aunts, cousin, sister, and daughter have beat this disease! For if and when they passed away, it wasn’t from breast cancer. Hooray for new research and treatments and for the courage, heart and determination these warriors had within them to win!

62. our family continues to LIVESTRONG in honor of the fight that our son Griffin battled beginning in 2004 at the age of 4. He is now a healthy, strong, athletic, happy 11 year old leukemia SURVIVOR! We wear yellow in honor of him and all the other cancer fighters!

63. David Lutz says:

I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG DAY to my sister, Sarabeth, a brain cancer survivor, and to my buddy, Toshi, who passed from stomach cancer this past June 14th.

64. Kelly Swanberg says:

Robert J Swanberg – Miss you, love you & wish so much you were here. Always in my heart, Your son -Kelly

65. Kelly Swanberg says:

Robert J Swanberg – Miss you, love you & wish very much you were here, your son -Kelly

66. Ridesa5200 says:

Jmom H. beats breast cancer in in 2011 with the help of a little Maui Madness!

67. In honor of my mom who lost the fight and in great honor of my husband Joe who has been fighting the fight of Stage IV Tonsil Cancer … Keep on fighting my love !!

68. In honor of my mom who lost the fight and in great honor of my husband Joe who has been fighting the fight of Stage IV Tonsil Cancer … Keep on fighting my love !!

69. Monique says:

Thank you for all your donations to support the LIVESTRONG Program. This program helps me physically and mentally – cancer survivor.

70. Matt Pischl says:

To all the survivors, your an inspiration to everyone! To those still fighting, let those survivors be the light to guide you join them!!! #livestrongday #beatcancer

71. Mbritcher says:

For my sister…cancer survivor

72. In honor of my husband, Cory Chapman. He was a great husband, father, son and brother. Cory lost his fight with testicular cancer on July 19th 2012, at the age of 31, from Bleomycin Toxicity. He leaves behind 4 boys and a wife that love and miss him dearly.. I am dedicated to not letting his memory fade and am determined to raise awareness for Bleo toxicity in hopes that one day Cory can help others!!

73. Roddy says:

In honor of the man who sat next to me in chemo …Never forget

74. For SEA – Happy LIVESTRONG Day!! SEA – 1, Cancer – 0

75. Bob G. says:

This is a note I have thought of writing for a while. I wanted to take this opportunity to shine some light to the inspiration that Lance has provided me and countless others during his run as the world’s greatest cyclist.

I lost my college roommate and best friend to cancer. It was a painful and life changing experience that no amount of prayer could alter its course, leaving a new wife and infant child behind.

I began running and excercising and learned to love the feeling. Prayer seemed so passive, running and pushing through some physical discomfort (pain is too strong a word for it) was both a spiritual and proactive way to do deal with it.

Within a few years, my Dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer, inoperable at that stage. The hole in my heart was reopened.

I signed up for every organized run I could find.

Next my Mother was diagnosed with cancer, went through surgery and we though we could look forward. Within two years, it came roaring back and the end was swift. As a family we all huddled around the Medical Center Dr’s desk for a consult as he told us there was no further option to help her. Somehow, that last time we were all together as a tight knit family trying to get Mom help was a special day looking back, even with that horrible news.

My runs became longer and harder.

Around this time when I was living in Texas some friends got me started on my first Triathlon, I was quickly hooked. I fixed up my old bike, then bought a new bike. Reading every issue of a small newsletter, the Texas Triathlete, I recall learning of a young kid placing and winning all kind of events near Dallas, Lance Armstrong.

Within a year, my 40 year old sister was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, went through surgery and chemo but could not beat it. She left a husband and two yound children behind.

I ran my first marathon while she was undergoing chemo – a little suffering on my part as an offering for her to get better. Another prayer (many, many actually) unanswered – big time.

I racked up more triathlons – a middle to lower tier of the pack competitor but for me its was not about the podium, its about the healthy lifestyle and personal acheivement. Maybe if I started earlier in life …

I recall being on a business flight somewhere, and learning of Lance’s cancer in USA Today. It hit me, hard. The extent of his disease spelled  big trouble from my experience. Again, the old wounds reopened… How could this disease strike another fit person in life’s prime? One I saw regularly in that periodical.

Then the miracle happened, Lance returned to professional cycling and won the Tour de France in 1989. I was glued to the TV and like others touched by cancer, cheered him on, fanatically. To see this stunning recovery after the extent of his disease and to make a full recovery after aggressive chemotherapy and radiation was fantastic. I became a fan for life.
    For the next 10 years I (and many others) were glued to the TDF and other cycling events. Without Lance as an inspiration, what was the chance of that?

My Dad passed away after his 11 year long and fairly successful battle with advanced cancer after TDF win #3.

My healthier lifestyle of cycling, running and weekend warrior triathlon events by this time were fully ingrained in my life and routines.

My wife and I are also recent cancer survivors and doing well. Thanks to an overall awareness, early detection and healthy lifestyles, we are members of a growing number of survivor success stories. In our recent experience, the number of healthy suburban lifestyle friends getting diagnosed with cancer is mindboggling and scary – many more than I can count on two hands in the past few years. Clearly, something is amiss and needs more focus.

My biggest cycling challenge came after seeing one of Lance’s autographed Yellow Jersey’s in my Urologic Oncologists office. We struck up a conversation on cycling and I was back on the bike within 10 weeks of my surgery. I committed myself to the Death Ride – 130 miles climbing 15,000 feet up 5 Sierra Nevada mountain summits. Something I had passed invites to do for many years, now those excuses seemed very shallow.

And Lance had become something much more than a great cyclist with a great story. His Livestrong organization is his commitment to fighting cancer that transcends his accomplishments on the bike.

Thanks for being an inspiration and giving zillions a proof point that cancer can be beat, completely. Too many will not, but exiting this life still hopeful is all we can ask.

Thanks to Lance for leading a cycling movement all across America. I’m fortunate enough that my town has many miles of dedicated class 1 and class 2 cycling lanes. Plus, miles of well maintained mountain biking trails, ever expanding.

Thanks to Livestrong, I read a report on cancer prevention and diet I downloaded which reminded me to get to the doctor to be tested for my parent’s cancers. This contributed to my “early enough” detection and helped me achieve a great result with surgery.

Thanks to Livestrong, I downloaded an organizer to manage my wife’s 2nd opinions, surgery, chemo and radiation checklists.

Thanks to Lance and Livestrong, another proactive organization has been formed to raise cancer awareness and prevention.

Thanks to Lance for supporting California’s initiative to increase the tax on cigarettes thereby funding cancer research and making cigarettes cost prohibitive for the next generation of teens to ever start. I sure wish my sister never did. It was narrowly defeated with the help of outrageous spending of morally bankrupt corporations. Did Philip Morris really run ads that things are changing at tobacco companies within the past few years?

Thanks for riding through my town during the Tour of California. It’s a thrill to have the peleton ride right in my backyard. A few more kids got inspired to ride.

Thanks for insipring me to keep riding and climbing.  I just completed my 3rd Death Ride – I sign each finishers poster on top of the 5 summit with my name and Livestrong!

Thanks for having Livestrong focus on employees rights. Sadly, both my wife and I had less than great support from our employers. Keep up the good work here.

Thanks for keeping cancer awareness high as we reach epidemic levels of new diagnosis, each one personally devestating to anyone who hears the words you have cancer. Thankfully, it’s less devestating than those before us. I’ve worn my Livestrong band for close to 4 years now as a reminder to be thankful, enjoy life and find ways to give back.

Hopefully, we all pray our kids won’t have to experience this too.

76. Peterjohndavies says:

Let us also spare a moment for the relatives and friends of those who did not survive, but still fought the fight.

77. Ned Banda says:

In honor of Maria Barceló’s parents.

78. Susan says:

As a cancer SURVIVOR, I am very fortunate to be able to post in remembrance and honor of all my friends and family, that have since passed away from this horrible disease, and honor the ones that are still here and still fighting. I still have HOPE a cure will soon be found. It is programs like these that truly are making a difference in cancer patients lives!

79. Markwallspain says:

To Louise. Forever in our hearts. To the others fightlike hell. Don’t let it defeat you.

Mark

80. adrienne says:

For everyone fighting this disease, if you find yourself in hell, keep going, LIVESTRONG and NEVR GIVE UP. Thank you Lance Armstrong you are our inspiration

81. Wendi says:

For my mom who has survived!

82. G_fong says:

As a 12+ year survivor of Burketts Lymphoma, it still hits me hard when I hear people losing the battle against cancer. I lost my co-captain to my bike team on September 21, 2010, four days before my 25th bike ride. I miss her dearly! I guess they are looking down and giving me strength to hopefully ride for a cure.

83. As a cancer survivor I applaud livestrong

84. William Hyer says:

I want to hear more about how others overcame cancer, even if they had chemo treatments or surgery first bfore their road to recovery. More importantly, what are these cancer survivors doing nutritionally to optimize their total recovery and to prevent re-occurence of the disease. Lastly, how has Livestrong made a difference in your life regarding education about cancer and coping skillsused while recovering and being cured?
    There IS a cure for cancer. I would like to hear those testimonies from the overcomers.

85. Congrats to fellow long term cancer survivor Lance Armstrong-

86. brendaelvers says:

For my sister-in-law who lost the battle, but fought to the last day!

87. Chunsinger says:

I support live strong and all they do. Celebrate Livestrong!

88. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my best friend, uncle and sister-in-law. And all cancer survivors worldwide. And for my mom who lost the battle, but fought to the last day! I miss you mom!

89. I am dedicating this LIVESTRONG Day to my best friend, uncle and sister-in-law. And all cancer survivors worldwide.