This Sunday, Team LIVESTRONG was all over the country, hundreds of dedicated participants helping to raise funds and awareness in the fight on cancer. I had the pleasure of working with the team in Virginia Beach. Here 275 runners took on the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon and Half Marathon. Under light cloud cover and great race conditions our runners took to the streets and boardwalk of Virginia Beach for something much bigger than the mileage: the 28 million living with cancer around the world.
In our first year at this great event our team raised an astounding $130,000, far exceeding all expectations and showing the power of LIVESTRONG as a movement and the dedication of our advocates in Virginia, throughout the United States, and even abroad. I have never felt our message come so alive than watching the sea of Team LIVESTRONG jerseys flooding through the streets of Virginia Beach.
We are so very thankful for our runners for an amazing weekend of fun and awareness. We’re already excited for next year! Below are highlights from our other Team LIVESTRONG events from this weekend:
The NYC Half Marathon
- Another banner year with participation 15,000 runners.
- The new course showed runners the highlights of the City. A 6-mile loop of Central Park, a dash down Seventh Avenue and across 42nd Street to the West Side Highway, and a duck through the Battery Park Underpass to the finish on Water Street at the historic South Street Seaport.
- Charities raised $4.8 million from 2,662 charity runners in the NYC Half, an 18% increase in funds raised compared to 2011.
- Team LIVESTRONG raised over $158,000, surpassing their fundraising goal of $150,000
Honda LA Marathon
- Over 23,000 registrants made Sunday’s Honda LA Marathon the 8th largest total in their history!
- Of that crowd, we had 30 Team LIVESTRONGers showed up to conquer the 26.2 miles known as “The Stadium to the Sea”.
- This year’s team raised over $40,000 from 500 unique donors.
Get involved! Join Team LIVESTRONG at a marathon, half-marathon, triathlon, cycling event or host your own event. Visit www.livestrong.org/takeaction for more details.