Held annually the first Sunday in May, the 35-year-old TD BankFive Boro Bike Tour is America’s largest cycling event. The event provides participants the unique experience of cycling through all five boroughs of New York City – a 42-mile, traffic-free ride for 32,000 cyclists. The pace ranges from a reasonable 15 mph at the front to a family-friendly 9-10 mph at the rear.
The ride is starting just north of Battery Park and runs up Manhattan, through Central Park, around a brief loop in the Bronx and down to the Queensboro Bridge passing countless New York City icons on the way. After a ride over the Pulaski bridge passing through Brooklyn and hugging the shore of the Upper Harbor, riders enjoy an incredible view from the lower deck of the Verrazano Bridge. Landing in Staten Island, the tour ends with a lively outdoor Festival.
In 2011 LIVESTRONG’s team set the bar high, with 65 first-year participants raising $105,000.00 for the LIVESTRONG mission.
The Big Apple Team is back in 2012. Though event entry is already closed for the general riders, the LIVESTRONG team still has approximately 15 VIP spots left. In return for raising at least $1,000 by May 5th, team members receive the following:
1. Custom LIVESTRONG Big Apple Giordana cycling jersey.
2. Saturday evening team dinner at Fraunces Tavern.
3. VIP starting position on Sunday, May 6th.
4. VIP breakfast with the team at the starting line in Tribeca.
5. VIP tent and lunch at the post-ride festival on Staten Island.
6. Bike tours of NYC’s fabulous sights, bridges, rivers, beaches, and parks, led by Team Co-Captain Michael Wolf, on Friday morning, Saturday morning, and Monday morning for those who can arrive early and/or stay past Sunday.
7. An awesome Nike LIVESTRONG bag for those who reach $1,250.00.
Come join us! If you register as a VIP Team Member by Noon on Friday, March 9th you will receive a complimentary LIVESTRONG hat!
Rain or shine it is always an indescribable joy to traverse 42 miles of the Big Apple with 32,000 bike lovers on closed roads, and being part of the LIVESTRONG team means you’ll share the experience with hero after hero.
Michael D. Wolf, Ph.D.
Longtime LIVESTRONG Fundraiser
5 Boro Bike Ride Participant