Fight Like Susan

by

Sad news to report from our dear friend Elden Nelson. Susan, his wife, passed away last night from cancer after a long tough battle. Many know Elden as “Fatty” from his widely popular blog FatCyclist.com Fatty, Susan and their four kids have been through so much recently and yet Team Fatty’s LIVESTRONG Challenge Team has raised over a half million dollars and counting for LIVESTRONG. We are in awe of your family’s strength, courage and of Susan’s brave battle. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Much love from your LIVESTRONG Family.

The Nelson Family

The Nelson Family

Below is the most recent post from FatCyclist.com I wanted to share with you all:

Don’t Say She Lost:

Susan died tonight (August 5) at 7:25pm. It was a hard, long day, and Susan fought right to the end, for much longer than anyone would have thought she could.

My mom, my sisters Kellene and Jodi, and my Brother-in-Law Rocky were all here to support my family as Susan passed away.
I?ll have more to say soon, but consider this. Susan inspired me to expand the focus of my blog from nothing but bike-related jokes to a serious and pitched fight against cancer.

Then she inspired 500+ of you to join Team Fatty, the largest LiveStrong Challenge Team there has ever been.
And Team Fatty has raised close to more than $500,000 ? a record amount.

Susan?s part in the battle is over, but she didn?t lose. She led the charge. She showed the rest of us how to fight: with determination, focus, creativity, and outrageous endurance.

Now it?s up to the rest of us to Fight Like Susan.

46 thoughts on “Fight Like Susan”

1. Troy says:

RIP Susan. Your warrior heart rides on.

2. Richard says:

An example to many, she fought to the end!!

Livestrong!!

RIP Susan

3. Gaurav Panwar says:

RIP susan…my heart out to the family…but she was veryy brave…n we all very proud of her…

4. debra crosby says:

I’m so sorry for the loss of Susan, but know that we are all out here supporting your family and thinking of you. We will not give up the fight — ever.

5. Sarah says:

My thoughts are with your family … FIGHT LIKE SUSAN.

6. Mike Roadie says:

Susan was my inspiration to continue the fundraising fight I started when i lost my parents. Together with our FatCyclist friends we raised almost $60,000 last year. That motivated us to create Team Fatty this year and the support has been phenomenal!!

We will all miss her–a friend and inspiration to thousands who didn’t even know her.

Please be generous and support the LAF and other cancer organizations.

Fight Like Susan…….LiveStrong

MikeRoadie

7. I cried when i read this. I do not know Susan or her family, but having cancer myself, I feel I have lost one of my family….

RIP Susan and God Bless

8. Ken Durbin says:

I will never stop fighting like Susan. Today I will do my hardest ride thus far in my training in dedication to the life of Susan. God bless.

9. Dave says:

So sorry about your loss… We will all continue to Fight, Livestrong and WIN for Susan…

10. Kim says:

I am a Cancer Survivor and get goose bumps every time I read any cancer story. My thoughts and prayers are with all friends and family affected, Susan’s spirit will live on in all those whose life she touched. RIP.

11. Dana & Family says:

What to say…my heart goes out to you all. My Mom is gone too but my pride for the battle she fought and the amazing strength she showed will live on. They made us stronger to continue the fight. Your Wife/Mom is still supporting you and will for the rest of your time here.
    God Bless you all and hang in.
    Love and prayers,
    The Dzurkos

12. Kelly says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.

13. Anna Miller says:

Thank you for sharing your story.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Susan’s mark has been made and her legacy will live on…..

My husband is a colon cancer survivor. We fund raise for the ACS. My business will be selling the ValueRays Pink Warm Mouse III to raise additional funds for cancer research.

14. JZ says:

elden…so sorry for your loss…i lost my mom this year to cancer (and my dad many years ago) and fought long and hard by her side just like you did for susan…my heart hurts today for you and your family…i share your pain but know you will all move forward with peace and pride knowing you all fought the good fight with susan and she is resting now and no longer sick…thanks for sharing susan’s story with us all thru your blog…it will remain a source of strength and inspiration to more people than you can ever know…my best to you always…jz

15. Paul 42Mac Schroeder says:

God Bless and God Speed

16. Lizzy says:

It was a year ago that I lost my aunt to breast cancer, and my LiveStrong bracelet has not left my person since. I will continue to wear it with pride as I Fight Like Susan to help end this horrible nightmare of a disease.

You have a beautiful family, Elden. You’re all in my prayers.

17. ESQ13 says:

My heart goes out to you and your family. Her legacy will live on. She was truly inspiring.

18. Sherilyn says:

Elden, I am so sorry for your loss and so inspired by Susan. Team Spike will continue to fight with Team Fatty to find an end to cancer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

19. Scott Richardson says:

My thoughts are with your family. As a survivor, I draw on the strength of stories like yours. Love you like it or not.

20. michelle says:

Having joined the cancer journey/fight this past year I am so humbled by the inner strength and conviction to win this very painful battle. Cancer makes its own rules unfortunately. I know susan is up there now with the Angels cheering the rest of us on. May she RIP and always be an inspiration for those like me who fight on.

21. Jared says:

I kept thinking one day I was going to log on and read this sad news. I just wasn’t thinking it would have happened when it did (even though I knew things were bad). The fight is yours now Fatty. Keep on swinging.

22. Theresa Cizmar says:

I am a 6 year cancer survivor, just had a lumpectomy last week that turned out to be good news. After reading your lovely tribute to your wife I realize how lucky some of us are. She seemed lucky to have had such a lovely family and now I too will continue to “Fight like Susan”, all my prayers are with you. Theresa Cizmar

23. thomas says:

I just recently joined the LiveStrong family. I have had loved ones lose the battle to cancer. We must defeat this faceless coward and hold our heads high when we do. I am saddened by your loss. Remember the good times with Susan and know you have thousands of people supporting you. LiveStrong!

24. Cathy Hammond says:

Susan’s family

I never met Susan but I know the fight, I know the battle and I know the spirit.

All I can pray for you and your family is peace…

25. LAURA LYONS says:

DEAR SUSAN, REST WITH THE ANGELS AND CARRY ON OUR FIGHT , U WILL BE THERE STRONG AND BOLD FOR YOUR FAMILY, AND THE REST OF US WHO ARE FIGHTING THE BATTLE DOWN HERE ON EARTH,

WE WILL CARRY ON FOR U JUST KNOWING THAT U ARE AT PEACE AND PAIN FREE,,,,
    HOW YOUR FAMILY WILL BE STRONG, AND HAPPY WITH U BY THERE SIDE,, GOD BLESS

26. Ellen says:

Never stop the fight, Never stop the hope, Never forget!

God Bless you and your family

27. Dierdre says:

Sending love and prayers to you and yours. Thank you Susan for your courage and hope.

28. Debi Deconinck says:

God Bless you Susan and your family. I have lost many members of my family to cancer, and my husband and I are truly sad for your loss. Remember this, none of us will ever stop until we find a cure. Our prayers are with you. LIVESTRONG!

29. marianne verheecke says:

my thoughts and prayers are with you all .
    with love , marian.

30. Anne Rutter says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.
    God bless

31. Caran Jones says:

So many are fighting this fight. Bless you all for helping. And may God bless Susan’s wonderful family.

32. Brandy says:

Lance wear the Fatty jersey @ Snowmass or Leadville. Fatty loves Leadville…hint hint.
    FIGHTING LIKE SUSAN.

33. GEOVANNI AGUILAR says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, With love GEO

34. JohnEstibal says:

Thank you so much for sharing your story! My thought and prayers to you and your family. Estibal Family

35. Randy says:

I prefer to think one never loses the fight to cancer or any disease. I prefer to think God has decided to make this one a home game and he never loses at home game.

36. Tricia McGrath says:

To the Nelson;
    With deepst sympathy for you the family who has endored you Mom’s cancer
    fight to the end.Just know that she is in a better place where her body works and she doesn’t have cancer. She has done a wonderful job raising her children as far as she could. SO using your Mom as an example for a life you want to lead.She shows you her strentgh and her never giving up till she couldn’t fight any longer.
    Every time you see a butterfly go by and it turns and lands on you be happy that is your Mom watching over you forever.

Tricia McGrath

37. Pam says:

My heart goes out to Susan’s family. May her strength be with you!

38. Arielle says:

Rest in peace susan, I just lost my Gram Monday, she had lung cancer but she never smoked a day in her life, Her family is in my thoughts and prayers

39. Marcus says:

To read the the words of Susan’s husband and family I can truly say their beautiful outlook and positive way of thinking is truly wonderful. If I should ever oneday lose my battle to cancer I’d want my family to feel the same away about my passing. Much sympathy goes out to her family. LIVESTRONG

40. - lisa o says:

I’m so sorry for your loss! My aunt (who was more like a sister) passed away on Aug 6th too. Fallopian tube cancer. She was diagnosed two months ago and now she is no longer with us. She was just 58. She was in the hospital on her birthday. I’ve lost 5 family members to cancer. That’s 5 too many.

41. Majid says:

My condolences to Elden and the rest of his family. Words will not express my sadness at Susan’s passing. I found out about Elden’s blog thanks to livestrong and Lance via twitter. Elden and his family inspired many many people from all over the world, and a example to us all.

RIP Susan

42. JoAnne Gerwe says:

Hey there, i’m a reader and just wanted to extend my condolenses. Susan is a huge inspiration and her spirit and legacy will continue onward. The best to your family, JoAnne

43. P.Collin says:

She now will be everywhere, everytime with everyone who need inspiration and courage.
    Livestrong up there Susan!

44. April says:

Susan is such an inspiration to us all. My heart is breaking for her beautiful family, and I feel more strongly than ever that we must all FIGHT LIKE SUSAN and eradicate this horrid disease forever.

45. Joy Mauro-Behr says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family..Susan has been a great inspiration…she will livestrong in heaven forever!!

46. Cyndi says:

My prayers and thoughts go out to your family.. We just found out a month ago my mother has cancer and it was such a shock.. But, she Lives Strong and is a fighter… I didn’t know Susan, but read about her and her journey with cancer and how she never gave up. What an inspiration.. We as a family are staying positive and fighting strong right next to my mother..God Bless Susan and all that she has done for others.. Her legacy will forever live on.. Your family sounds just amazing and always remember to keep the Faith and know she is an Angel always by your side protecting you from above.. God Bless your beautiful family and we all must continue to LIVESTRON. Susan is forever a Winner.. Amen