LIVESTRONG Care Plan: Facing Challenges after Treatment

There is good news in the fight against cancer: There are an estimated 12 million cancer survivors living in the United States today and these numbers are growing. At the Lance Armstrong Foundation, we recognize that while cancer may leave your body, it never leaves your life. Survivors must deal not only with the long-term medical and psychosocial problems that can arise after treatment, they also face a lack of guidance with these challenges.

The Institute of Medicine recommends that after a person has completed cancer therapy, that he or she should receive a summary of treatments and a follow-up ?care plan.? A comprehensive care plan is a helpful guide for survivors and their healthcare team, but the amount of time it would require makes it an unachievable goal for most oncology practices.

The LAF has partnered with OncoLink to focus on one aspect of the Institute of Medicine?s recommendations, a ?survivorship care plan? that focuses on the medical consequences a survivor may face after cancer treatment. The LIVESTRONG Care Plan will be individualized and based on the answers a survivor provides in a brief questionnaire. We give survivors the resources they need to face the changes and challenges that come with a cancer diagnosis and after treatment.

The LIVESTRONG Care Plan is meant for survivors to review and discuss with their healthcare teams (both oncology and primary care) and is designed for survivors of adult cancers. The care plan will launch in late May 2009. Learn more about the LIVESTRONG Care Plan at

Video on the Institute of Medicine report, From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition

1. Kate says:

Just wanted to cheer you on for publicizing this. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago and it’s an amazing tool. I thought I was pretty informed but in a 14 page report, there’s something new for everyone to learn. I encourage all survivors to give it a try, it doesn’t take long and my poor doctor is going to get a copy so we can review.

2. Julie Donati says:

I survived Hodgkins disease from when I was 19–but have had a lot of lang term effects of the radiation which no one warned me about…I had to have my thyroid removed and have had greatly diminished lung capacity…also,k it messed up my arteries and I have had to have 2 stents…my dr says all due to the mantle radiation I received in 1976. But heck, I am alive and kicking!

3. Stan Steinberg says:

That is great!, Like Julie, I had Hodgkins in 1975, at age 19 and have had to learn about secondary effects like Thyroid cancer and other issues,like breathing and I need a new Aortic valve, for women breast cancer is an issue…. They didnt know about all of this back then and there was no counseling or information about these future issues.

If you want to contact me my email is

4. Lisa says:

I’m in UK but will be taking a look out of interest. Having my rectum removed for stage 3b bowel cancer, chemo and radiation left me with many permanent effects usually seen in older patients so there is litttle knowledge here about how things will get worse. Menopause, nerve damage in feet particularly and hip pain at 36 don’t make me feel like i’m living. Just existing but glad to be here just the same

5. Hi Lisa,

I am a stage 2 Colonrectal cancer survivor. I was diagnosed one year ago on May 30th, 2008 and completed chemo and radiation therapy.

In honor of Cancer survivor day, June 7th I have written a piece entitled “Reflections – One Year Later.” You can read it on my blog at

I hope it provides you inspiration and encouragement as you continue to battle your disease.

There is life after cancer! I look forward to hearing your feedback. Feel free to leave me a comment on the blog site.

Much love,

Tamara Slater

6. Sandra Mitchelhill says:

Great idea. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 with my treatment plan finishing in 4 months’ time. That is the time I am dreading; feeling like I’ll be without medical support again. I will be looking into the survivorship care plan with my doctor.

7. Becky says:

Lisa- I understand the stuff you are dealing with. I am a colon cancer survivor with many friends with rectal and anal cancer as well. If you would like to contact me I am on Facebook .
    Becky Poirier

8. JBBC says:

I am excited to read about this much needed project, as we survivors end up “lost up in transition” post treatment. This is a wonderfully empowering tool to place at out disposal. Looking forward to the Global Summit in Ireland later this year.

9. Thanks for all the useful information. Your insight is very keen. Keep it up.