LIVESTRONG Day began in 2003 as the LAF’s effort to influence public policy in Washington DC by bringing advocates from across the country to our nation’s capitol. Over the years we’ve transformed and improved the event. Then 3 years ago we realized that it was great to have 100’s of people on Capitol Hill, but we needed people backing us up in their communities to help amplify our voice.

In 2006 we were ecstatic when over 100 events took place all over the country (and one USS Aircraft Carrier) on LIVESTRONG Day. The next year that number rose to 260 and then last year we hit an incredible 640 events all over the world. However, we’re just getting started.

In 2009 we know that the situation has never been more serious with recent studies indicating that Cancer will overtake heart disease as the number one killer worldwide. For this reason we felt it important to choose a date and a mission that capitalizes on that importance, so we chose a date that resonates will all of us here at the Lance Armstrong Foundation, October 2nd.

10//2 is the anniversary of Lance’s diagnosis date and is the date he says that he finally started to live. We hope this will serve as a rallying cry as we march towards our goal of a Global LIVESTRONG Day with more than 1000 events across the world.

There will be many more details in the coming future, but we will have event registration available on March 2nd, 2009. In the meantime, if you have any questions please don?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢t hesitate to ask by e-mailing

Brendan Burns
Grassroots Advocacy Manager
Lance Armstrong Foundation

1. Scott Joy says:

I like it! And a Friday is ideal!

2. Michelle says:

I really like the idea of having LiveStrong Day on Lance’s diagnosis anniversary date. Helps make the efforts speak that much louder. Great change!!!

3. Paul says:

I always felt a connection to Lance, cycling and his cause.
    My father passed away from cancer on 10/2/73 23 years later to the date Lance was diagnosed with cancer, he battled it and beat it and went on to win 7 tours. I have proudly worn my yellow wrist band for four years and my Police badge 2307 for the last 27.
    Go Lance!

4. Sandy says:

What a fabulous way to celebrate LiveStrong Day. The date change will make this so much more symbolic.

5. I think the date change is awesome. It represents Lance. I have a cycling event the riders will love it. :)

6. sokol lulgjuraj says:

this day is very important and for our assosiation Lance Armstrong-Albania becouse in that day 2004 we promoted Armstrongs book in albanian lenguage and founded SHLA-A to fight against the cancer with our flag and hero Lance Armstrong

7. Rose says:

That’s a fabulous date. We had scheduled to hold a race here in Malindi, Kenya on April 4th but we’ll hold it on October 2nd instead to coincide with LAF set date. The race is targeting young children facing cancer, HIV-AIDS and abuse. The funds will go towards construction of a shelter. We don’t have the yellow bands, but we’ll find them by then! Lance is brave to go out to race again. Keep it up. Thanks!

8. jose concei?ɬß?ɬ£o says:

I’m teacher for desabled people, I teache and work cycling weed mental desabled young (6 male), twice a week, in Set?ɬ?bal – Portugal.

9. Ollie says:

When my Husband was diagnosed he said he lived his life different and cherished it more than he ever did before. He is now gone but those last 4years were the best of his Life. We will support Lance on this Day.

10. Looking forward to open registration!

11. TIM SCANLAN says:

We’re right behind 10/2 here in the UK. The love one’s we’ve lost to cancer will be uppermost in our thoughts and we owe to them to carry on supporting the fight to find the cure. God Bless you Lance.

12. Michelle says:

Looking forward to a great event with our local Livestrong Army, Fresno/Clovis!

13. Benedetto Mazzola says:

27 years ago I’d the same cancer you had, Lance. I survived, like you did. Now I have 4 adopted children. They are the reason of all the pain i suffered. I’m trying to teach them to “livestrong”. Wait you in Italy for the “Giro”.

14. Mary says:

I love the date change! I know it won’t always fall on a Friday, but this way we can have events all weekend! And folks who want to participate in the bike race we want to have, don’t have to take off work in the middle of the week.

2009 promises to be an amazing year! Congratulations on the new addition that is coming to your family Lance!

15. Dawn says:

I am THRILLED with the date! My husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer on November 17 and his BIRTHDAY is October 2nd! I would like to know ALL I can about this worldwide event. How can I get involved? What types of things do most people do? We are not cyclists; are there other options???

16. Kelli says:

Confirmed our LiveSTRONG Day event sponsor today! They are on board because they loved the idea of doing it on the day of Lance’s diagnosis. Here is to a great 2009