Cancer Surviving: 12 Years and Counting

Today is a big day for me and this is a big week in my life. 12 years ago I sat in a military urologist’s office, having done a weekend’s worth of internet research via Alta Vista and Yahoo and told her, “I think I’m here to get a diagnosis of testicular cancer.” She laughed politely and said, “If you don’t mind, I’ll be the judge of that,” went out and looked at my charts and scans, came back in and said, “You’re scheduled for surgery in five hours.” An hour after recovering I was making phone calls I never thought I would to my family and friends, telling them that I had cancer.

Fortunately significant progress had been made in the fight against this particular disease, and thanks to more surgery and a couple of rounds of chemotherapy I was as clear as one could possibly hope for, but my life had certainly changed. Not long after I started the Testicular Cancer Resource Center website with Doug Bank, and then in early 1997 I met and interviewed Lance Armstrong. At the time we were the only guys we knew who had been through similar treatments and were at similar points in our recovery. As we spoke he told me about this little Foundation he was starting and ?¢?Ǩ?Äú as we did back in the day ?¢?Ǩ?Äú I volunteered to help with the website and Ride for the Roses cycling event. To say that was one of my better decisions is certainly an understatement…

Another good decision I made was asking my girlfriend Helen to marry me last Christmas eve. And so on this day where I celebrate 12 years of cancer survivorship, I’m also starting a new chapter in my life this weekend with my new partner, friend, and wife. The way I ask people to celebrate along with me is to simply find someone that you care about and tell them you love them. You can’t do that often enough, and as cancer survivors around the world will tell you, you never know how much time you have left to do so.

Still living strong here in Austin ?¢?Ǩ?Äú Chris…

1. Maureen says:

Congratulations on this milestone, Chris – both in survivorship and with your wedding! Well said indeed.

2. Great stuff, Brewer! We all are excited for you. Have fun this weekend! Best to you both.

ps: Your taste in clothes has gotten much better since 96. :)

3. Mary Danielsen says:

Congrats. I wish you a long, happy, healthy and full life with your Helen. Life is beautiful!

Just took you advice and went to see a nephew told who is recovering from a motorcycle accident. Told him I loved him and that I needed him to grow old me, because I plan on being his crazy old aunt someday.

Best wishes to you.

4. kate says:

Nothing to say but Congratulations! May you live a long, happy and healthy life together.

5. Gavin says:

Wel done mate.

I myself live in Australia and have fought testicular cancer not once but twice in both testicles and both forms of the cancer which is very very rare.
    I know take a testosterone replacement gel because unfortunately I lost them both.
    Luckily I have 3 great kids already.

6. Kevin Hausauer says:

Good for you Chris!

I wish you both the absolute best!!

We all need heroes like you to look up to. Believe it or not, but you are one.

Godsped Mister…

7. Daniela says:

Congratulations Chris! I am so happy for you, on all levels. Have a wonderful time!

8. Dee ( NJ) says:

Congratulations! May you and Helen have many years of living strong together.

9. Ryan W McCain says:

Good on ya’ lad! I myslef am a survivor and 7 months out of treatment. In assuming you have the sense of humor I think you do; I am glad you found someone who can put up with your Shenannigans bud! God Bless and congratulations!

10. Annemieke says:

Congratulations on your wedding and your anniversay. I wish both of you a long, happy and most of all healthy life. I hope we can enjoy your insight pieces for a long long time.

Have a great honeymoon

11. Linda S. says:

Dear Chris,
    I met you in Iowa at the LS Presidential Forum where I was an LAF volunteer. I shared my story with you and you graciously listened-it meant so much!
    I wish you and Helen many joys and blessings in your life journey. I will pass on hugs to someone in my life. Thanks!
    Congratulations Chris and Helen

Linda S.

12. Well wisher says:

Dear Helen & Chris,

Wishing you both a beautiful & blessed life ahead. May your spirit towards battling cancer bring a spark of HOPE in the lives of all those who are fighting cancer every minute!

Thank you for sharing.

God bless.

13. Mike Roadie says:

Way to go, CB! Congrats on all fronts and best of luck! See you in Austin!