Busy Week at the LAF

Greetings, all, as you might imagine, the week here at the LAF started off with a substantial bang Monday morning as word leaked out via Velonews.com that Lance was rumored to be coming back to pro cycling to take on the Tour de France for an unprecedented win #8.

If you’ve ever been around professional sports in any capacity, you know that “rumor control” is among the top ways to get news, or sometimes even create it. When I was covering the Tour back in the day, journalists would go to the start line Village to not only get coffee and baguettes, but to just listen among those gathered for what the topic of the day was. Then, around the team buses, all it took was a hint from a staff member or rider that something was up, and off you’d go to try and chase it down.

And so when this article cited several anonymous sources detailing Lance’s return, the flood gates opened. Anyone who had or wanted a connection to Lance was emailing, texting, or calling whoever they could to try and get the inside scoop. Here at the LAF it was no different, from the fine folks manning the front desk to all of the staff’s friends, family and acquaintances, everyone wanted to know: was it really true, or just a rumor?

The reality was that for all but a few staffers, no one saw this coming, nor did they have any real knowledge as to its authenticity. Our CEO, Doug Ulman, took the initiative to nip that rumor right in the bud, calling none other than Chairman of the Board, Lance Armstrong, to please come to the office and give the staff the low down. As we all mingled in the main conference room, not really sure what was going to be said, a laid back and energetic Lance strolled in. “We all have heard the rumors and most have read the article,” Doug said. “But I want you to be among the first to know what’s really going on, because this team will play a major role in the months ahead.”

And with that, Lance quickly said, “Yes, I am coming back to the sport of professional cycling and intend to win the Tour de France.” To say there was an audible hush in the room would be an understatement. But then Lance went on to detail that this was not a decision made in a vacuum. He had consulted his closest advisors, friends, and ultimately his children and their mother, and all had responded unequivocally with a hearty, “YES!” And so it begins.

But that’s not where the story ends, not by a long shot. There is another agenda here, and quite frankly it far outweighs any bike race. In the end it’s really not about the bike, because after all, a bike is just a tool. And while it will be used in part to propel one of the greatest athletes to the top of the cycling world once again, it will also be used as pulpit from which the fight against cancer will become an international issue. “I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden,” Lance said. “It’s time to address cancer on a global level.”

So in the days and months ahead, you’re going to learn a lot about cycling and witness the second great comeback by Lance Armstrong, but even more you’re going to learn about the fight against this dreaded disease and what you can do about it. I can tell you that the staff of the LAF is as energized as their famous leader, and we’re all ready to win. There’s lots of work to be done, lots of opportunities to get involved, and we want you on our team – full gas. Thanks for checking in, lots more to come!

1. Brian Dowd says:

Chris: We will be with you every step of the way!

2. Vicky Fletcher says:

Hey Brewer: I think I speak for myself and the entire LIVESTRONG Army when I say: We want to be on that team – full gas! Say how, say when, and we will be there!

3. Ginna says:

Let us know how we out here in the field can help! I’d love to be doing more for the foundation out here in the Bay Area and driving increased awareness on the fight.

Team Spike the Wonder Dog

4. Tim Deegan says:

Imagine the size of the Army when this goes to an International stage….

5. Ron says:

I’m from Montreal and was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer,so imagine how I felt when I learned that Lance was coming to Montreal to participate in a ride to raise funds for cancer research,for the same research group who are treating me! I wish I could have participated in some way ,but am incapacitated following a prostatectomy,so I would just like to express my thanks for all that Lance has done and will do to further the cause.Livestrong!!!

6. Christy Koronczok says:

Brew, we will do everything we can to help you guys win this fight and take it international. Your synopsis of how it all unfolded was priceless and so is the ultimate goal of this comeback. love it! We stand with you. – Stevo & Christy

7. CB,
    you know you have an army behind you…can’t wait.

8. Nathan says:

Is it too late for a LAF Team? If you want publicity, the big names are on the jersey’s! The question would be are there enough good riders not already signed to a team. To date I have only purchased a band, but I would buy more than a jersey if they formed their own team.

9. Grego S says:

Not just a arm, u have millions supporting you!! Its the most exciting thing ever!! cant wait ; ))

10. Carl Hogg says:

heres my thoughts on Lances return to the peleton. Lance doesnt need an 8th tour win but he could do enormous amounts for his Livestrong cause if he helped another to victory. My suggestion is to work with Silence Lotto and help Cadel win the tour (yes I’m an Aussie) but in liue of any payment, as has been suggested, he could rename the team for the 2009 season “Silence Cancer” Imagine Kohl, king of the mountains and Cadel or Lance on the Podium in any race on the protour with Silence Cancer on their kit. that would be pretty cool.

11. Jonathan Webb says:

Great news that Lance is back, his actions continue to inspire! I would like to organise an event in the UK to coincide with the 2009 Tour and raise money. Do you have a UK operation? If not then perhaps we should discuss setting something up? Good luck!! Jon

12. Annemieke says:

I’m sorry Carl, but I don’t think Lance should help Cadel Evans win the Tour: he (Cadel) should learn to attack first instead of just following all the time. If Lance doesn’t win the Tour himself (the best scenario)I hope he helps Johan win his ninth! But its the best news ever, Lance coming back! Not only is he a joy to watch on a bike (no other like him, not back then and not now)but combining it with his great cause. If I can hel, anywhere in Europe, just let me know!

13. Lance

Best wishes on your 37th birthday today. Spend it with those who are most important to you, your children and your biggest fan, your mom. I hope this year brings you everything you wish for.

Fish Hoek
    Cape Town
    South Africa

14. John from St. Louis says:

Happy Birthday, Lance.

15. Annemieke says:

Happy birthday Lance,

Have a great day with everyone you love near. You deserve a day to remember, enjoy it. Let’s hope the next year brings you all you wish for: lots of attention for the cause so near to your heart, but personal happiness as well (and who knows, maybe even an eight….)

16. Guus van Domburg says:

Hey congrats and many returns Lance! Don’t stay up too late now, training for TdF 2009 started some time ago. Plenty of recons still to be planned, I wonder if Prudhomme sends you an invite to presentation later on. Cheers man, respect.

17. steve says:

i think every cycling fan will want lance to win any race he enters.as for for 2009 it will be the tour de lance no matter the outcome ..an absolute legend

18. Noel Rigney says:

Go Lance go.
    Do it for those of us who believe in you………
    see you in france in yellow in July 09.Look out for the Irish FLag

19. paul brodigan says:

Yea lance you do it man.
    Ireland is proud of you
    You are the voice of millions of ordinary people who have been affected directly or indirectly by cancer….
    History in the making.
    Pure LEGEND

20. Willie says:

I echo all of the above comments and would like to add lance, that you have been an inspiration to me over the years and will continue to be……….
    Keep eating them apples and never ever stop cycling.

pure LEGENED says it all

21. peter kilcoyne says:

it is not those that can inflict most but those that can endure most will conquer…………
    Total Respect