Senator McCain to address LIVESTRONG Summit

I wanted to make you all aware of a release that we just put out.

For Immediate Release
July 9, 2008

AUSTIN, TX – The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) is pleased to announce that Senator John McCain will address its members on July 24th at its second LIVESTRONG Summit.

“Cancer will soon be the number one cause of death in this country and Americans want to know how our leaders plan to combat it,” said Lance Armstrong, founder and chairman of the LAF. “Senator McCain has accepted our invitation to talk about his plans to further the fight against cancer and we’re very glad to welcome him. Victory against this disease requires a winning strategy and we look forward to hearing Senator McCain’s plan to help defend the 560,000 American lives we stand to lose this year alone.”

“The work being done by the Lance Armstrong Foundation is invaluable in bringing people together to fight cancer. I am proud to address the second LIVESTRONG Summit that will advance a critical dialogue in how we can better support the heroic work of those striving to find a cure for cancer,” said John McCain.

The LIVESTRONG Summit will take place July 24th through 27th on the campus of the Ohio State University in Columbus and will assemble cancer advocates, health care experts and elected officials from around the nation. Sessions will focus on grassroots guidance for attendees to help combat the disease on local, state and national levels. Featured speakers include Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, advocate and two-term member of the President’s Cancer Panel; America’s 17th and most recent Surgeon General Vice Admiral Dr. Richard Carmona; Dr. Harold Freeman, president and founder of the Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care and Prevention in Harlem and Senior Advisor to the Director of the National Cancer Institute; and Stefanie Spielman, three-time breast cancer survivor, founder of the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research and wife of former Ohio State University football star and All-Pro NFL linebacker Chris Spielman.

This is the LAF’s second national-level gathering of cancer advocates and the second time the Foundation has featured Presidential candidates discussing their personal battles against the disease and their hopes to further progress in the national battle to defeat it. Last August’s LIVESTRONG Presidential Cancer Forum in Iowa was the first gathering focused on cancer of candidates for the highest office in the nation. Presidential candidates who participated were Senator Hillary Clinton, Senator John Edwards, Senator Sam Brownback, Representative Dennis Kucinich, Governor Bill Richardson and Governor Mike Huckabee. The LAF has invited both Senator McCain and Senator Obama to this year’s Summit to discuss the war against cancer and their ideas to ensure victory against a disease that will strike more than 1.4 million Americans in 2008.

Senator McCain will address assembled attendees on the evening of July 24th in Mershon Auditorium on the Ohio State University campus at 7pm EST. His appearance will be open to the press, Summit delegates and LIVESTRONG Army members.

About the Lance Armstrong Foundation
The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) unites people to fight cancer, believing that unity is strength, knowledge is power and attitude is everything. We provide the practical information and tools people battling cancer need to live life on their own terms. We take aim at the gap between what is known and what is done to prevent death and suffering due to cancer. We engage the public at large to pursue an agenda focused on preventing cancer, ensuring access to screening and care, improving the quality of life for people affected by cancer and investing in needed research. Founded in 1997 by cancer survivor and champion cyclist Lance Armstrong, the LAF is located in Austin, Texas. UNITE at

1. Susan says:

After Senator McCains’ recent comment that we should export lung cancer by increasing cigarettes to Iran, well, I certainly am NOT interested in anything he has to say. What kind of, cruel, thoughtless person could even think speak such a thought…to use lung cancer as some sort of foreign policy humor. I will not be attending his LAF talk.

2. Brian Dowd says:

I cannot wait to hear his plans to renew the “war on cancer” which Richard Nixon started over 37 years ago. It will certainly be an event to remember and I cannot wait to be there. We will be part of history!

Thank you to the LAF for holding our elected officials accountable!

3. Melissa says:

I wish that Senator Obama was coming to speak. I would LOVE to hear his plans to fight cancer.

4. Clair says:

Why ISN’T Senator Obama coming?
    That is the real question.

5. Bill Bro says:

I just submitted a letter to the Wall Street Journal which I wanted to share with you.

I was very disappointed to learn that Senator Barack Obama has declined the invitation of Lance Armstrong Foundation to appear at the Presidential Cancer Summit in Columbus, Ohio, on July 24. Cancer will strike more than 1.4 million Americans this year. As a cancer survivor and advocate, I am astonished that Senator Obama places so little importance on our nation’s war on cancer. Many more lives will be claimed by cancer this year than from the war in Iraq, of which Senator Obama has been a vocal critic. It’s too bad that fighting cancer isn’t a priority of his campaign. This will definitely affect how I vote this November. It is commendable of Senator John McCain that, despite the absence of his opponent, he still plans to attend the LIVESTRONG Summit, July 24 through 27, on the Ohio State University Campus.

With best regards,

Bill Bro
    Cancer Survivor and Patient Advocate

6. Jade says:

After reading Susan’s statement “After Senator McCains?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢ recent comment that we should export lung cancer by increasing cigarettes to Iran, well, I certainly am NOT interested in anything he has to say. What kind of, cruel, thoughtless person could even think speak such a thought?¢?Ǩ¬¶to use lung cancer as some sort of foreign policy humor. I will not be attending his LAF talk.”
    I will not be voting for Sen. McCain come November. Cancer is not a JOKE.
    I am a survivor and advocate, as well as one of the many LIVESTRONG ARMY Leaders.

7. larry williams says:

If you don’t like Senator McCains humour, try Robin Williams’jokes.

8. PJ says:

His comment reflected more to the sheer amount of taobacco products that are exported and his recognition of the harm they cause. I do not believe any malice was meant by the man and will not let a poorly formed statement touched by satire to disuade me from looking at what he has to say. While I can certainly understand the sensative nature of that comment … it would be a rather dire mistake to ignore the man due to it.

9. Judy says:

I believe a person is better equip to make decisions when they are able to ascertain information first hand. Attending the McCain presentation is not an endorsement but rather a opportunity to learn first hand more information about a person who is not only an elected official, but possiblity our next president of the United States. McCain is a Vietnam vet and experienced the realities of war first hand. I am a RN who opposes the war especially since I cared for the injured soldiers returning from Iraq & Afhganistan. But I am very disappointed Obama is not coming to the summit to share with us first hand his views concerning the war against cancer. (I do know Obama has recently made his first trip to meet with the leaders of Iraq.) Not attending the presentation by McCain is a missed opportunity to ask him about his views and statements he has made. In my oppinion it is a missed opportunity to learn.

10. Do you think either McCain or Obama have any clue that all the research in the world won’t help the young adult population? It’s about early detection and clinical trials. I am painfully disappointed that Obama won’t be there and I think we should demand a statement from his campaign as to why.

11. Henrike says:

Part of the whole problem is that McCain and a large part of the Republican party stated (even in TV adds) that Obama is totally inexperienced when it comes to foreign affairs and thus might not be the best choice as future president.

It’s only logical that his campaign tries to at least prove part of it wrong by going overseas, meeting troops and foreign leaders and giving a speech about transatlantic relations in Berlin on the day of the Townhall meeting.

I would’ve liked to hear his views on cancer, don’t get me wrong, but I do understand his dilemma.

12. Tom says:

Why isn’t Sen Obama in Ohio today? Because he’s in Europe which probably accounts for his turning down an invitation to appear. Nothing more sinister than a schedule conflict. As for Lance endorsing any political candidate, that’s simply not in the foundation’s best interest since it will alienate a segment of supporters.

13. David Wardell says:

i am so dissappointed Lance endorsed McCain. I have lost a lot of respect for him. My opinion of him has been negitvely impacted.

14. Bruce Berger says:

What a disgrace to spin Sen Obama’s absence while he is in Europe. I agree that Lance’s endorsement will only serve to alienate many former supporters. I guess the LAF must have some other agenda.

15. susan says:

I would like for someone to directly ask Obama if he is a smoker. If he says “no,” then the follow up question should be”when did you quit” This is why he did not go to the summit. How can we expect him to take cancer seriously? How could we expect Lance to take him seriously?

16. Kaye says:

Dear All, It was announced on May 28 that Sen. McCain had committed and scheduled to appear at the Townhall on July 24. At that time, LAF also announced that Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama had been invited as well with no commitment from either. That was before Sen. Obama’s trip overseas had been planned, so I would be curious as to what “spin” you are talking about.

Also, I was at the Townhall the other night, and at no time did Lance or anyone from LAF endorse any candidate in the Presidential election.

I enjoyed the Townhall, and I am impressed with Sen. McCain.

17. Marshall Keegan says:

So what’s the deal actually?

Lance invites the old dude to the event; but why doesn’t Lance at some point extend the same opportunity to Senator Obama?

What this has created is a “perception” that Lance has endorsed McSame when indeed, as far as I know, he still claims to be neutral.

I hope so. At least until the same opportunity is extended to Barack as well.

Thank you!

18. Marshall Keegan says:

Hello?!?! Senator Obama quit smoking over a year ago.

He is extremely open when asked about what worked for him and he explains in full detail how difficult kicking tobacco was; but how great he now feels!

He DOESN’T smoke any longer!!!

19. Libby Meyers says:

To everyone here who keeps telling Lance and his foundation how bummed you are that he endorsed mcSame,

–PLEASE read ABC News’ correction above (on Kaye’s thread).

He absolutely HAS NOT endorsed Mr. McSame.

HAS “NOT” Endorsed Him!! :o)

20. amatoriali says:

Great web-site!!! You did an amazing job!!! I enjoyed watching the videos!!! You guys are great!
    Talking about ideas, there\s this really good show, which I like a lot, and I\m sure you\ve heared about it. It\s called STOMP. What these guys do is so cool, I saw them live in NY. I\m sure you can do the same and even better. It really turns people on. Just an idea, hope it could be any helpful.
    altri racconti
    suonerie polifoniche nec
    www silvia

21. Andy says:

Your doing great work! All the best…

22. peggy boyd says:

I have read on your live strong I was told I had breast cancer Dec. of 2008. I have been trying to get help through social security since 08 but sa of yet have only been turn down….I have worked most of my adult life and now fighting for what I AS AN AMERICAN HAVE WORKED FOR…………WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO..