Jimmy Fowkes

Hey everyone, my name is Allison Wright and I work with the LIVESTRONG Challenge team here at the Foundation.

In an earlier blog, Doug referenced a young man by the name of Jimmy Fowkes who was waiting to hear back about a possible cancer recurrence. We recently received word that Jimmy’s cancer has indeed returned and he’s now facing chemo for 4-5 months, with the last 4-6 weeks being a stem cell rescue where he’ll be hospitalized for 28-42 days.

To give you an idea of the type of young man Jimmy is, read the story he wrote last year about his initial cancer experience. In talking with Jimmy’s father the other day, he let us know that although Jimmy’s got a lot going on right now, what’s weighing most on his mind is that depending on how he responds to the treatment and when the last portion starts, he may be in the hospital during the LIVESTRONG Challenge Portland in June.

If you read Jimmy’s story or if you’ve ever met him, you’ll know that he’s not worried about missing the Portland Challenge for personal reasons. He’s not upset that he might miss a bike ride or the opportunity to see Lance, what’s weighing on his mind is that he might miss out on the opportunity to do something for someone else to raise funds so that others going through a cancer diagnosis can be supported and to raise awareness so that someone else might not have to go through what he, at 15, has had to endure for the past two years.

I know you’ve read it many times before on this blog, but we at LAF are truly fortunate because of the people who we get to meet each and every day. Think about it – a 15 year old boy who has faced so much already and who has every reason to hate the world and be angry and resentful, has chosen not only to forge ahead and fight his own battle with dignity and determination, but to give wholeheartedly of himself so that others can thrive.

I know he’s got a battle ahead of him, but in a fight between cancer and Jimmy Fowkes, my money’s on Jimmy. I know he’s gonna fight like hell and I know he’s got the LIVESTRONG Army behind him. I can’t wait to see him in June, on his bike in Portland.

Jimmy, Lance and Jimmy’s sister Molly at the 2007 Portland Challenge

1. Brian Dowd says:

Jimmy is such an inspiration to us all. Jimmy says, “Getting cancer has been both the best and worst experience of my life.”

Oh how true that is. I feel the same way. It is amazing to hear a 15 year old say that.

I wish Jimmy and his family and friends all the best and I hope to hear more news as we get closer to the Challenge.

2. Ted Moore says:

My heart goes out to Jimmy and his family as they “do battle” with his cancer. Certainly he is an inspiration to us all.

3. Gina Beasley says:

My son, Patrick is not only batteling a rare cancer that NO ONE knows a darn thing about (DSRCT), but is also fighting the denial of care in a timely manner due to the unfortunate fact that he was the young age of 20, a sophomore college student when diagnosed therefore “an adult” by law or any other org. except the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION (COURTNEY JONES YOU ROCK!!!!) to assist him. We have sold our home, and depleted 85,000.00 of college and retirement savings with more out of state treatments still needed. MY SON WILL NOT DIE BECAUSE OF MONEY! My ignorance of the facts that cancer patients of in between age, the college age destroyed me as much as finding out my son had a 5% chance of survival. I will devote the rest of my life to the discussing and fighting the disease of cancer that is increasingly facing our children, as well as the uninsured, and the punished poor.
    Jimmy is such a beautiful and vibrant young man with a smile that gives me the hope I must believe in to continue with my son’s fight. Jimmy YOU are a survivor and you will reach remission to lead a productive and happy life! You are in my heart.
    Consider setting up a caring bridge sight for free communication amongst people who will walk with you and your steps!
    God bless you and your family my little one.
    Gina, Patrick’s mom, and his Jane Q!

4. Gina,

I work with Courtney Jones on a regular basis. She IS awesome! I am so glad to hear that your family got support through the LIVESTRONG SurvivorCare Program. We are here for people facing emotional, physical and financial effects of cancer. Visit http://www.livestrong.org/survivorcare or call us at 1-866-235-7205 to talk with someone about our services.

5. Weezy F. Rangel says:

AS a member of our family, Jimmy Fowkes has been an inspiration to all of us, young and old. We admire is generosity , courage and positive attitude and he has truly made us realize what is important in our life. We are so proud of you Jimmy and what you have done for LAF, research, and others who have been affected by cancer, whether it be personally or through those we know.

6. Nancy Lavender says:

With the “Fowkes” genes that Jimmy has, I know he is a fighter and has a lot of love and support to back him up. You are a huge inspiration to our kids as well as I’m sure many across the country.

7. Bonnie Wahlen says:

I work with Jimmy’s Aunt and know of his situation and his tenacity through her. I wish him the best and keep his picture on my dresser so I can wish him well several times a day. I hope you get my vibes.
    Love and Hope, Bonnie

8. John Sather says:

As with two of the previous poster I am proud to be related to Jimmy. Jimmy and his family have displayed character in their fight that we all admire. You focus on beating this disease Jimmy, we’ve got your back!

9. Dana Croghan says:

Team K.C. supports you all the way. We know you are going to beat this because of your positive attitude and your wonderful parents. The mind is a very powerful thing. We have you in our prayers. Our daughter Korrine is fighting stage IV Choriocarcinoma. The same cancer that Lance Armstrong had. She is 13. We have talked with your parents and they have helped us in our fight against cancer.
    Be Positive and LiveSTRONG.

Dana Croghan
    Team K.C.

10. Bonnie Rembacz says:

We are good friends of Jimmy’s Aunt, Wendy Sather and we have been in Jimmy’s corner from the beginning praying and cheering him on. He is a determined young man with a caring spirit and a heart of gold. We have faith that he will beat this cancer.

11. Unanimous says:

Didn’t ever get the chance to meet Jimmy but after hearing all the stories of him from his family you already know you would have loved the guy. Never put his sad down once altering battling cancer for years. A truly inspiring story that all people should hear about.