World Cancer Day and a new campaign

Hi folks,

Today is World Cancer Day and also the day the President issued his proposed 2009 budget. In its current form, his spending plan virtually freezes domestic dollars, meaning little to no increases for healthcare or cancer issues.

I understand that our nation faces a lot of different challenges and that while cancer is always at the top of my priority list, it may not be on other people’s. But when 1.4 million Americans are diagnosed with this disease and more than half a million lose their lives to cancer every year, this news is certainly pretty grave.

It’s time for more leadership, more attention and more funding for an issue that affects every single American. Hopefully, as the budget negotiations shape up, we will see our leaders do the right thing and support the war against cancer.

On a more positive note, I also wanted you to know about an initiative the LAF is launching which I feel is a strong step in the right direction. Just like with Prop 15, sometimes we can’t wait for the federal government to lead the way. Sometimes we have to grab the reins and that’s just what the “I Love My Smoke-Free Childhood” campaign does. The LAF is teaming up with the International Union Against Cancer to lead this year-long communication, education and advocacy effort to promote smoke-free environments for kids. We picked World Cancer Day to launch this effort and I’m hopeful it will help protect kids from smoking and prevent them from ever picking up the habit. To learn more, click here.

Have a great week and

1. Scott Joy says:

It’s outstanding to see cancer made a global priority!

2. Christie La says:

Thank you for being such a warrior against cancer!!! I turned to LIVESTRONG five years ago when I was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer and what a support resource I found! It is wonderful that this fight has gone global…onwards to victory!!

3. David Sheeks says:

Cancer didn’t get my father after many years of smoking but emphysema did. His death has helped convince my daughter (age 10) of the dangers of smoking. I’m sending some copies of your press release on protecting children from second hand smoke to her shool, and would encourage others to do the same. This is a concrete step we can all take to prevent future cases of cancer and lung disease from affecting our children. Thanks for the fabulous work your entire organization does, and I’ll look forward to more on the smoke free childhood front in the coming year!

4. Isabel says:

Lance, your website and foundation have helped me and my family understand and deal with testicular cancer. My husband was diagnosed and treated in 06,we have successfully stabilized it and are waiting on more test as you know.Me and my husband now have to deal with the terrible fact the my 17 yr old son already has the symptoms and is already being treated for this decease. All I can say is that just reading about your success with this has made us deal with it better. I love reading and catching up on any new research or new info on this.Many blessings for you and your family………

5. Russ Perez says:

You?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢re an inspiration my friend. I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m Stage IIB Seminoma and am starting Chemotherapy soon. I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢ve been reading your book and I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m irritated that I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m almost done with it. When I get down it picks me up. Write another one will ya. Tommorow afternoon I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m getting LIVESTRONG tattoo?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢d on my wrist. Thank you for the journal as well. I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m making good use of it. My Blog is and it?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢s my story from day 1 until now.

I?¢?Ǩ?Ñ¢m going to try and thank you in person someday,

6. David–

I manage the LAF’s constituent relations program and wanted to let you know about a new program we offer for teachers and schools. Our team recently created a K-12 curriculum about cancer, cancer prevention, cancer survivorship and overall awareness. I was thinking that this may be a great unit your daughter’s teacher can teach on at her school. Please go to to view. All of the information is online including downloads for the teacher and a little intro from Lance about the program. The information is age appropriate and would be a great compliment to what you are already teaching your daughter about prevention. Have the teacher call the LAF if he/she has questions. I will be glad to help!

Keep up the great work, Dad!

7. Stacie Muller says:

Thank you for your incredible work in finding a cure for cancer.
    A dear friend of mine was just diagnosed with a brain tumor and will soon start radiation treatments. She talked about you tonight while I was on the phone with her and said “I will beat this just like Lance Armstrong”.
    You are the light, where it is dark, you are a voice to be heard when ours are not and you are our strength when we are weak.

Thank you…..thank you.

8. Joanne says:

Hello lance. I have just read ur book and it has really helped me as in hospital at the moment and am in hospital and have been for months. Also had two heart operations and seven spine ops and now battling with the infection MRSA which is horrible. Not good but am trying to study and keep postive and not think about things all too much. I worry i have been missing out alot with friends and my career which gets to me as have been in and out of hospital all my life but thanks so much for ur book. take care and all the best.

9. Joanne says:

hi i wondered if you have any tips on being and staying positive i wrote the above comment. many thanks lance. take care, joanne